Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I replaced my cut a/c lines, changed the accumulator, and changed the orifice. I evacuated the system and added two cans of pag 150.

I started to add freon with the a/c and engine on. It doesn't seem to be taking all of the freon. The can is really cold and the only line that's cold is the line the orifice tube goes in. But it's only cold up to the orifice, the line in front of the orifice is warm.

I did notice the compressor is cycling on for a couple of seconds then off. It keeps doing that over and over.

Am I (or did I) do something wrong?

Or does it take a LONG time to take the freon??

Thanks in advance,
David

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Put the can in water. The refrigerant gets too cold to boil out of the can and that slows things way down. Put it in some water and that will keep it warm enough to gas out into the system.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
are you putting it in the low side? What are your pressures?

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try putting the can in water. I'm putting the freon in the low side on the accumulator. I will check the pressures as well. I did buy a gauge set.

I will try this afterwork. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I think the water trick worked. The a/c is blowing cold!!!

With the engine running and the a/c on max, the measurements are: low side 45 and the high side 250

I use the chart in this thread: http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=245256

But if I read the chart right I should be seeing around 44 for the low side and around 360 for the high side. The temp here is 95 F and 54% humidity.

Did I read this right and if so my High side is really low. Does that mean I need to try and add more or is it fine the way it is.

By the way, I have NEVER worked on A/C stuff before so I REALLY appreciate all your guys help!!

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Note that the bottom of the chart says the pressures are based on 2000 RPM enigne speed. Also, you should have the windows up, fan on high and HVAC set to 'Max A/C' when checking pressures. Make sure you're doing that.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Note that the bottom of the chart says the pressures are based on 2000 RPM enigne speed. Also, you should have the windows up, fan on high and HVAC set to 'Max A/C' when checking pressures. Make sure you're doing that.
Ok, thanks. I'll check that.

P.S. It's sooooo nice to have my A/C back again!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts