Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey like the title speaks for itself, my floor of my caprice is completely gone, i was wondering if they sell floors that can be welded on, or if theres patches that can be welded on?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
go to the junkyard and cut one out and re weld it back into yours...then por15 the underside and floor of the car

·
Registered
11,500 Posts
^^^The only place you can get replacement parts is from a junkyard. Southern ones have nice metal, but the floors are a pain to cut out, because they do not have power at the sites.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thing is I'm all the way up in Montreal ... Canada , and cuz of all the snow we get here during the winter and with all the salt on the roads lol any car I find in a scrap yard , the floors are usualy all rusted... I was hoping they sold new floors like they do for enough old muscle cars

·
Registered
11,500 Posts
A good body shop can make the parts out of sheet stock. It will probably be a little pricey, but they can do it. Someone on the forum had some made, I do not remember who or where, but it was since the crash, so you should be able to search for it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
if worst comes to worst...just buy straight sheet metals and weld what you can. i have a guy who has parts from a washer and dryer welded onto his floor pans(SUPER GHETTO I KNOW), 2 years running and no problems.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I welded half a 91 florpan to a 96 rusted out and it took a weekend to do it all, from trunk to front firewall, all the holes welded up with donor caprice roof and quarter panels metal

Its doable but there another thing you will have to consider.

If the floor is that gone, it means ALL the bodymount support plates on the body are rusted out and failed. thoses are not easy to fix and even most body mount bolts will brake out.

3 years later when I got in a fender bender and scraped the car that got floor welded, when cutting the car in half i was shocked to see that the whole car was holding barely to only the middle body mount on each side.

Most of the body frame rails will be far gone in rust too.

Welding it will be band-aid it for a while but its too far gone to my opinion.

The car I'm driving now got off the road in 2001, and i fixed all the rust floor issue with stainless in autobody school, it was quite involving.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if worst comes to worst...just buy straight sheet metals and weld what you can. i have a guy who has parts from a washer and dryer welded onto his floor pans(SUPER GHETTO I KNOW), 2 years running and no problems.
parts from dryers n washers would never come to mind lol

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I welded half a 91 florpan to a 96 rusted out and it took a weekend to do it all, from trunk to front firewall, all the holes welded up with donor caprice roof and quarter panels metal

Its doable but there another thing you will have to consider.

If the floor is that gone, it means ALL the bodymount support plates on the body are rusted out and failed. thoses are not easy to fix and even most body mount bolts will brake out.

3 years later when I got in a fender bender and scraped the car that got floor welded, when cutting the car in half i was shocked to see that the whole car was holding barely to only the middle body mount on each side.

Most of the body frame rails will be far gone in rust too.

Welding it will be band-aid it for a while but its too far gone to my opinion.

The car I'm driving now got off the road in 2001, and i fixed all the rust floor issue with stainless in autobody school, it was quite involving.
ima look around the city this week for stainless sheets, but theres sposed to be a body shop near me, for the price this guy specializes in building brand new floors for any car, so ill have to check that out

·
Registered
849 Posts
Two words: BODY DROP
That would make it worse because you would be shooting up more onto the pans. Fool.

Your only option would be to find a different DD while you cut out metal too far gone, weld in new metal and POR15 everything. My car is a DD and my Drivers side pans are eating away slowly right by the pedals. Other than that, I am in pretty good shape with all things considered. I'm sure down the line, some company will start making sheetmetal floorpans.. but don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
That would make it worse because you would be shooting up more onto the pans. Fool.
First, I don't think name calling was necessary.

Second, I stand behind my comment that if he needs to completely replace the entire floor in his car, it would be a reasonable time to consider a body drop.

Now, I realize he probably doesnt need the entire floor pan replaced. and he probably doesnt want to spend the time to body drop his car or have a desire to have a body droped car. I made the comment kinda laughing inside a little bit, I guess you couldnt hear me.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Please, tell me how dropping the body and making the floor pans closer to rain, snow, rock chipping and salt would help his cause when he is in a state that sees plenty of all the above?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I noticed that you are in Lachine. If you do find a shop to make floor pans, please post it here. I'm not that far from there, and would be very interested in some info.

Thanks....

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Please, tell me how dropping the body and making the floor pans closer to rain, snow, rock chipping and salt would help his cause when he is in a state that sees plenty of all the above?
I believe he is referring to a frame drop. Which actually would be a body LIFT. You know, remove the body from the frame so you have complete access to the belly of the car.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Two others word's : new car. I have a floor pan you can have.....$10k, You can have the rest of the car for free. NO RUST....gotta love this AZ dry heat....lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts