Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

Recently bought a Caprice/ impala ss 96. it was sitting for a while and after some diagnosis ,found the fuel pump was bad. while dropping the tank yesterday, noticed there was no hose connected to the Evap line on the sending unit as shown in the Pic. Can anyone please advice on where can i get this hose and where should this get connected to. Tried to research on this topic but couldn't find the correct answer but got to know that the other end of this Evap line should be connected to the canister in the engine bay? Correct me if am wrong. Please help and where can i find this hose. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
You can use any hose that will fit between the two. It does not have to be a hard nylon, but it must be fuel proof. The end is clamped to the tank line, the other end can be a push fit, or clamped to the canister. It runs up the right side of the frame, and possibly though the frame by the engine exhaust. There is a wire clip that holds it above the differential.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I assume that you know how to access the charcoal fuel evaporative canister. You need to remove the passenger corner of the front air dam and a portion of the plastic wheel house in the front passenger wheel well. If this has not been removed in a long time or possibly ever, the bolts will most likely be rusted into the speed clips.
The canister will have several ports and hopefully only 1 of them is missing a rubber fuel hose.

I wonder if the entire length of fuel hose is missing from the tank along the passenger frame to the front of the car or if someone just cut the line near the fuel tank? That line should be held into that hard line at the tank with a simple hose clamp - like maybe ⅜ to ½ inch. I would suggest a stainless steel hose clamp. A marine/boat shop will have all sizes.

Whenever I need to replace any hard line or hose under any car or truck, I'll take a ball of string/twine and use it to run around up and over the frame, through the frame holes, etc. to get a reasonable idea of length and then I'll add a couple of feet to make sure that I have enough.

Maybe the EVAP hose was disconnected and tucked up someplace above the rear axle. It might all still be there. Maybe this car needs a new charcoal canister and the previous owner disconnected it at the fuel tank to same some money.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume that you know how to access the charcoal fuel evaporative canister. You need to remove the passenger corner of the front air dam and a portion of the plastic wheel house in the front passenger wheel well. If this has not been removed in a long time or possibly ever, the bolts will most likely be rusted into the speed clips.
The canister will have several ports and hopefully only 1 of them is missing a rubber fuel hose.

I wonder if the entire length of fuel hose is missing from the tank along the passenger frame to the front of the car or if someone just cut the line near the fuel tank? That line should be held into that hard line at the tank with a simple hose clamp - like maybe ⅜ to ½ inch. I would suggest a stainless steel hose clamp. A marine/boat shop will have all sizes.

Whenever I need to replace any hard line or hose under any car or truck, I'll take a ball of string/twine and use it to run around up and over the frame, through the frame holes, etc. to get a reasonable idea of length and then I'll add a couple of feet to make sure that I have enough.

Maybe the EVAP hose was disconnected and tucked up someplace above the rear axle. It might all still be there. Maybe this car needs a new charcoal canister and the previous owner disconnected it at the fuel tank to same some money.

Good luck.
You literally did read my mind :)

I was searching for a video on how to get to the canister on an 96 impala and couldn't find one anywhere but found some info from the forum itself from previous posts. With your above instructions, i think am ready and know exactly what to do to get this job done.

And Yes, I checked to see if the vapor hose just got disconnected but couldn't find any hose close to the tank that was loose and open. so am thinking like it was missing completely. once i get a view of the canister position after i remove the parts on the car from what you have suggested above , i will have better understanding of this and can do the necessary.

I have seen the canister has a lot of valves as well. Just need to do some more digging in the forum and find the right one that goes to the fuel tank Evap hose. I think i might actually make a video and post it so it could be helpful for others going forward. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Covered in depth in service manuals

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Pretty simple...find the line that goes to the tank and replace it, or get enough hose to make up for any missing piece.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts