Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're installing a TransGo Reprogramming Kit (4L60E-HD2-C) and when we got to the Iso-Conv valve we found this already in the valve body. TransGo says it's an aftermarket part, so what we have (from their kit) won't work and we'll have to buy a new valve body.

The new valve (from the kit) is very sloppy in the hole.....almost like maybe the hole has been bored out.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! It looks like it's a Sonnax part.
So the question I have now is, can I use both kits together? (Use everything in the TransGo kit except the Iso-Conv valve).... And since one of the main reasons we got the shift kit was to fix the P1870 code, since there is already a Sonnax fix in there, now what?

·
Super Moderator
4,543 Posts
Yes, reuse the Sonnax valve. What you have there is the 77754-04K TCC regulator valve, a $40 part and it required a $120 reamer to install. It is the best valve setup you can put in that position.

Are you sure it wasn't slipping in some other gear?

The TransGo kit is decent; since you're already in there, finish it up and see how it drives. Disconnect the battery to let it re-learn the shifts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Sherlock :)

I'm not positive it wasn't slipping in another gear, but before we parked it last fall it did have a few issues. We figured that a shift kit couldn't hurt. If this doesn't fix it, then we go back to square one I guess.

I can't remember exactly all the issues we had, but lazy shifts was one and one day (after a 40 mile trip on a really hot day), the trans just quit altogether...after we let the car sit for about 45 minutes it was fine and we never had that issue again.

There is a white wire spliced into the wiring harness that goes from the 02 sensor to the VCM (spliced into the purple wire)..Can't really remember, but he thought that when he unhooked that, that's when he got the 1870 code...the wire may be totally unrelated, but that's what we were playing with at the time.

We did find that the passenger side cat was clogged (reading over 1000* on a temp gun)...we hollowed it out as a fix for now but maybe the heat from the cat was affecting the trans in some way.

Time to get back to work I guess...the trans won't put itself back together. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And if it matters...it's a Jasper trans not the original stock one like we thought.

·
Super Moderator
4,543 Posts
How many miles are on this one?

A trans that loses gears when hot likely has an internal leak that is exacerbated by the fluid viscosity dropping when the ATF heats up. Unless you can quickly point to a particular valve in the valvebody that's worn, you're better off having it rebuilt.

I've had a good experience with a Jasper trans and would not hesitate to recommend them again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car has 85,XXX and from what we can figure (by using the info from the Carfax) the trans has less than 10,000 on it. We didn't know that it had a Jasper trans in it until we were 3/4 of the way done with the shift kit. I was able to talk with someone at Jasper and they were able to tell me that it was purchased in 2007.

The only thing I can tell you about the day it lost all the gears was that it was really hot & humid (around 100*)....We had driven about 40 miles or so, mostly highway...the last 3 miles or so was in traffic with stop lights. We pulled into a parking spot, hit the brakes and the engine started to sputter and run rough...he put it into reverse to straighten up in the parking spot and there was no reverse gear. He tried drive and there was no forward movement....the car stalled at that point. We left it the way it was (had an appointment to be at) and when we came back, about 45 minutes later, it started right up and moved like it was supposed to. We drove it home with no issues and that hasn't happened since.

I have no idea what may have happened day. When we dropped the pan the fluid was still red, no burnt smell. There was a bit of metal on the magnet, but nothing to really be concerned about. The valve body looks great, all the parts looked good so we really have no idea. Everything went back together smoothly, the test drive was good and the shifting is definitely better.

When we talked to TransGo about the unknown part we came across, that guy had told us about the TSB that may affect the car and that we should also check into that since we were working on the trans...And since I read about the trans being on the same circuit as the 02 sensors, maybe that odd white wire that is spliced in the harness has something to do with it.

The only thing I didn't do was ask the guy from Jasper if they use the Sonnax valve when they do their rebuilds. I wish I would have because it seems that if the trans only less than 10K on it, I can't imagine that it would have needed it...but then again, who knows?

·
Super Moderator
4,543 Posts
That could have been a one-time anomaly.

Buy yourself a line pressure gauge and check to see what the pressures are. Search "line pressure" in the drivetrain section and you'll find all of my posts on how to do this and what you should look for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what we are thinking also.....hopefully just a one time thing. I'll check out the line pressure...if nothing else, just to see what they are. Probably do that next weekend, as tomorrow we start fixing the differential.

Thanks for taking the time to respond....It was very much appreciated. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.