Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I posted the same thing In the wheels section .. But maybe I would get more help here...
I'm looking to put on 22s on my caprice , but before I put them on I need afew suggestions what would be good springs and shocks would be best ... I was just thinking of ordering police pack option springs n shocks

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
I have 22"s with 265/35 all the way around with no rub. You just need to get the ZQ8 bump stops for the front.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Unless I'm close to full turning lock, I don't rub. ZQ8 bumpstops made a big difference.

I also replaced my top most fender bolts.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
ZQ8's should NOT be used as a remedy for rubbing. They are simply used to make bottoming out feel less harsh.

If you put them on, and your car no longer rubs, then your probably riding around on the bumpstops rendering your entire front suspension useless. It's a bandaid and a crummy solution.

With the correct backspacing on the wheels, you can actually lower the car, not have to cut anything, and still run 22's without rub.
--

FWIW, the best shocks are the Bilstien Sport shocks. Your springs will be just fine unless you want to go lower.

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
ZQ8's should NOT be used as a remedy for rubbing. They are simply used to make bottoming out feel less harsh.

If you put them on, and your car no longer rubs, then your probably riding around on the bumpstops rendering your entire front suspension useless. It's a bandaid and a crummy solution.

With the correct backspacing on the wheels, you can actually lower the car, not have to cut anything, and still run 22's without rub.
--

FWIW, the best shocks are the Bilstien Sport shocks. Your springs will be just fine unless you want to go lower.
I wasn't very clear in my post. Yes the ZQ8 won't stop RUBBING but they WILL prevent bottoming out. I used to bottom out all the time untill I put the ZQ8's on. The only time I rub is when my wheels are turned almost to full lock.

You do lose a little in turning radius with the 265/35R22. Atleast I did.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Rub

I'm ordering the bump stops either way to see what difference they make for 30 bucks. Right now for me it's nothing major I feel like the ride is fine but I can't stand the feel that my frame is rubbing my tire when I turn furthermore when I'm pulling out of a park it's ridiculous, I get a loud squeak as well. I do have 265/22's so I know this is the biggest tire. But it makes the pothole game easier to deal with here in Chicago. On all my past cars I had low profile tires on rims and after having 2 sets damaged I'll never do it again so for the Impala without having to put a lift kit on what suggestions are there to alleviate rub it seems I would only need another couple of inches in the front. I did install Monroes couple of months ago and a mechanic did the cheap version of the lift with the cups but I don't understand after that why I'm getting any rub with just 22's...

Let me know what you guys think..

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
I'm ordering the bump stops either way to see what difference they make for 30 bucks. Right now for me it's nothing major I feel like the ride is fine but I can't stand the feel that my frame is rubbing my tire when I turn furthermore when I'm pulling out of a park it's ridiculous, I get a loud squeak as well. I do have 265/22's so I know this is the biggest tire. But it makes the pothole game easier to deal with here in Chicago. On all my past cars I had low profile tires on rims and after having 2 sets damaged I'll never do it again so for the Impala without having to put a lift kit on what suggestions are there to alleviate rub it seems I would only need another couple of inches in the front. I did install Monroes couple of months ago and a mechanic did the cheap version of the lift with the cups but I don't understand after that why I'm getting any rub with just 22's...

Let me know what you guys think..
I don't think lifting the car is going to fix rubbing the frame when you are making tight turns in a parking lot.

I could be wrong. Hopefully someone else will jump in and confirm that.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I don't think lifting the car is going to fix rubbing the frame when you are making tight turns in a parking lot.

I could be wrong. Hopefully someone else will jump in and confirm that.

no lifting your car wont help. its the outer wall of the frame that rubs the inner wall of the tire. you'd be doing a MONSTER of a lift to change the fact that with wider tires comes wider turns. just be careful when turning to know how far is too far. im surviving on 285 30 22s

1 - 12 of 12 Posts