Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1995 Impala SS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for some tips on what I might be doing wrong on changing the body bushings on a 1995 Impala.

I have purchased the energy suspention body bushing kit. I have changed all the bushings EXCEPT #4 upper between the doors.

I am jacking up the body with a 2x4 to the point that the frame is starting to lift off the jackstands. All the bolts are removed from the one side and the other side is loose.

I am not able to get the #4 (between the doors) bushing out. I have pryed with a crow bar which pulls the frame down a tiny bit (because it is now off the jack stands), but I still do not have enough room to pull the bushing and sleeve out.

The bushing is in very good condition, so im guessing that may be why i can't get it out. I am entertaining the idea of cutting/ torching the bushing out, but i am afraid I might not get the new one .

I've attached a picture of the bushing as far as i can get it. The floor bumps out on both sides and I can't rotate it out.

How important is the #4 bushing? If I get all the other, im thinking it should be pretty good? It does bother me to get all but one. Probly will loose sleep over it...
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Bumper Vehicle door
Font Material property Paper Handwriting Pattern

· Registered
901 Posts
I can't recall which bushing it is but one of them can't be pulled straight out, you essentially have to slide back to a point where you can pull it from the frame. And the install is the exact opposite where you have to come in from the back and slide it through to that point in the frame.

It may very well be the #4 bushing but it's been a bit since I did it.

Unless your saying that the bushing is actually stuck to the body of your car, then not exactly sure. I can't see how prying against the rubber shouldn't take it off.

· Registered
1995 Impala SS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

Its not "glued" in any way. The sleeve moves out of the bushing, but not enough room to separate them, or pull out of the socket. Moving it forwards is a good tip, ill try that. I had to do something similar for #2.

· Registered
1995 Impala SS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya, i tried that, but the frame started to lift. So that appears to be all the space i can get.

Thanks for the heat shield tip though. Will do that when i get to the passenger side.

· Registered
1995 Impala SS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, i did get the bolt behind the headlight fully removed on the side im working on, and loose on the other. I will try the fender bolts you mention, i have not removed those.

Thanks.

· Registered
1995 Impala SS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did the passenger side, and all went well. Even #4. My jack was positioned slightly more towards the back than it was on the drivers side.

So i attempted the driverside again with the jack slightly further towards the rear. I also released the ebrake as suggested and i got it!

Thanks to all!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts