Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was making a cold air intake for my 93 Caprice with a 5.7. In the process I broke what I thought was a pcv valve. I bought a new one from Napa and it doesnt fit the hole in the valve cover on the passenger side and now it is smoking. It is a plastic elbow that somewhat resembles a pcv valve. What is it? Did Napa give me the wrong one?

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
It's not a PCV valve, it's a breather and it is just a plastic elbow. I'm having a brain fart at the moment as to what it may be called though, sorry.

Sean

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
It's not a PCV valve, it's a breather and it is just a plastic elbow. I'm having a brain fart at the moment as to what it may be called though, sorry.

Sean
yes hes right.they gave you the wrong part.did you take your old one so they can match it up?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I didnt take it with me. Is it possible to use one of those chrome push in breathers or would I be better off getting the elbow? I used a Cadillac hat for the piece that goes on top of the TBI been having problems finding an adapter.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I replace mine with one like this and a small $10 breather filter. the breather fit the pcv valve and the valve fit the covers like a glove. you can get rid of that hose going to your throttle body and cap it if you'd like.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I replace mine with one like this and a small $10 breather filter. the breather fit the pcv valve and the valve fit the covers like a glove. you can get rid of that hose going to your throttle body and cap it if you'd like.
DO NOT put a PCV valve in that hole! You can install a vented breather (such as K&N 62-1160), but it has to be open at all times! If you install 2 PCV valves, there will be no air flow through the engine. Then, water vapor, blow-by, etc are all trapped in the crankcase. The oil quickly turns acidic and degrades, causing sludge, accelerated engine wear, and higher emissions.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Wow, someone just spent money on modding something they didn't understand...

See cletus284's post to correct it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I went to Napa and they had nothing like the piece that came out of the valve cover. They all looked at it and scratched their heads. What else can I do to get this thing back on the road? Ive heard stick a PCV valve in there and Ive heard dont....what do I do next?

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Check with someone parting a 91-93 car here on the forum. They all have one. Send pics of the old part.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Well I went to Napa and they had nothing like the piece that came out of the valve cover. They all looked at it and scratched their heads. What else can I do to get this thing back on the road? Ive heard stick a PCV valve in there and Ive heard dont....what do I do next?
I'll say it again, DON'T PUT A PCV VALVE IN THERE!!! See my post above. Head to the junkyard, you should be able to find one. Check all Caprices, Roadmasters, Fleetwoods, even the older trucks and vans. They all had TBI engines. If you still can't find one, its probably time to go to the dealer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well heres what I did and it seemed to work. I cut the bottom of the pcv valve off with a dremel tool. The valve and the spring fell out and whats left? A plastic elbow. I smoothed out the edges and she slid right in. But now I must have pulled on a hose because now I have a water leak. When you give it gas water drips out of the hose at the crimp farthest to the passenger side. TO THE DEALERSHIP! I still have to paint the PVC pipe and make a bracket to hold the filter up just a bit but other than that what do you think?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
Actually, I would try to rotate that hat and with a piece of PVC, locate that filter a little closer to where the stock inlet was. right now, it's getting a lot of hot air coming right up off the exh. manifold.

When I had a TBI car, I took it to the strip and ran the stock airbox, then I took off the inlet extension leaving only the elbow...essentially the set up you have. My times increased by .2 or .3 seconds (I slowed down).

Best bet would be to put near where the stock inlet was and make an airbox. Someone did that using a plastic tupperware container actually. With my TBI car, I cut a 4-5 inch section of that fiber material on the edge of the radiator to get fresher air to the inlet. I also noticed that the grille support is right there and always wanted to fabricate a little scoop on the grille support to channel air to the opening I cut. I've recommended it before but don't know if anybody has ever tried it. Just something to think about.

Sean

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
You mean make the pvc pipe longer towards the radiator?
Yeah, try to get it to roughly the same place that the original inlet was.

Sean

·
Registered
156 Posts
DO NOT put a PCV valve in that hole! You can install a vented breather (such as K&N 62-1160), but it has to be open at all times! If you install 2 PCV valves, there will be no air flow through the engine. Then, water vapor, blow-by, etc are all trapped in the crankcase. The oil quickly turns acidic and degrades, causing sludge, accelerated engine wear, and higher emissions.

Noted, I shall take my place in the dog house. I thought I read a bunch about the setup on here and just cleaned my TB (which was covered in oil and carbon buildup). I got hasty and put some crap together. I have removed the filter and put the vent tube back on and replaced the ACTUAL pcv valve.

If i put the vented breather in, it will have enough ventilation? even though the vaccuum line is capped?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
If i put the vented breather in, it will have enough ventilation? even though the vaccuum line is capped?
The vent line is not a vacuum line. It allows filtered air from the air box into the crankcase. The PCV valve is connected to the intake manifold vacuum. When there is high vacuum, such as at idle, coasting, or light load on the engine, vacuum pressure overcomes the spring inside the PCV valve opening the port and allowing crankcase vapors into the intake stream for combustion. At the same time, filtered air is pulled into the crankcase through the vent hose to continue purging the engine of blow-by, etc. Under high load, the PCV valve will shut, and any necessary 'breathing' by the engine will be through the vent hose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.