Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys this is really pissing me off! I am trying ot do the front springs and i have the shock off the tie rod off and the sway bar end link. Now i am stumped i took the the lower ball joint bolt out and i am trying to lower the the control arm down and remove the spring. I am trying ot do this with out having ot take out the pivot points in the back, but if you guys have ideas please help me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if the shock is loose on the lower end, tie rod off, and sway bar off, and the lower ball joint nut off, with the lower contral arm down as far as you can get it it should come out, if not use a pry bar on the bottom of the spring to help it, just dont stand in the way, with that much tension takin off it should spring much at all,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put everything back together, and let someone who knowns what they're doing, tackle this R&R.
This is NOT a job for an amateur.
That spring is under enough pressure, to cause permanent injury or death!!!! :eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from what i have heard the 9C1 springs are tall enough that you will need a spring compressor for them. the regular civi caprices dont, a prybar will pop them out.

have a jack under the lower control arm while your using a ball joint fork seperating the lower ball joint. after it pops, lower the jack and pull it out, you will have to use a spring compressor to remove the spring.

if this is all new to you. have someone who knows whats going on. springs can be very dangerous.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Caprice93:
have a jack under the lower control arm while your using a ball joint fork seperating the lower ball joint. after it pops,

....springs can be very dangerous.
:eek: :eek: DO NOT use a Fork Tool to separate LBJ from Knuckle.
You'll damage LBJ Dust/Grease Boot this way!
But the Floor Jack(FJ) suggestion is good. Jack Stands should be firmly positioned under Chassis[below front door/fender seam].
CAREFULLY place FJ directly under LBJ, with about 1/2" space between LBJ & FJ.
And only loosen[back off] LBJ nut 1/4" away from Knuckle. Then with 32oz. Hammer, 'strike side of Knuckle' proudly, where LBJ stud passes through, until stud pops away from Knuckle.
Now remove LBJ nut, and lower FJ SLOWLY.

ADD: Keep your or any assistant's body, positioned AWAY from wheel well side of wheel assembly, incase FJ slips off Lower Control Arm. :eek:
And YES, the use of a Spring Compresser makes this job easier & SAFER [especially on Spring installation].

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with Larry, maybe there is someone local to you that can give you a hand. You can really get hurt R&Ring the front coils. Did you completely remove the shock? If you just unbolted the bottom of the shock, the lower control arm will not swing all the way down, it will be restricted by the shock. If you removed the shock completley, then forget what I just said.

Now, back to the springs, if you don't have a spring compressor, STOP! Go get one! You will NEED it to get the springs back in safley....READ, safley . Sure some guys can get them in without it, but I wouldn't do it without a compressor. Makes it much easier, and safer, and as said above if these are 9C1, heavy duty cop springs you are trying to remove, you will need to compress them on removal too. HTH, good luck, and be carefull. :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the spring compresser in. It might not be conpressed enuff. How far should the lower control arm drop i say i got a good 5 inches. the only thing i can think of is that the spring isn't compressed enough. the ball joints are shot away way so i am taking them out on both sides. So i broke em out with the fork. How many turns do u think the spring should be compressed. I have 4 coils compressed and the middle two are touching, with that tell me what u all think

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by suicideride93:
I have the spring compresser in. It might not be conpressed enuff. How far should the lower control arm drop i say i got a good 5 inches. the only thing i can think of is that the spring isn't compressed enough. the ball joints are shot away way so i am taking them out on both sides. So i broke em out with the fork. How many turns do u think the spring should be compressed. I have 4 coils compressed and the middle two are touching, with that tell me what u all think
Man, that should be compressed enough....but if you have a little more to go that might help. otherwise a prybar should wiggle it out....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got them out by using a spring compressor and i cut hte lower ball joint bolt straight in half(it was a tough one lol) waiting for new ball joints and to get the press tool everything else is cool and i just pulled the springs out b/c the compressor collapsed. Easy as pie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to hear you're still alive.

Please have you/heir let us know how install goes, be very carefull!!

From your described removal adventure[previous post], you might want an experienced eye with you, when you put it back together.

Don't live up to your login name.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.