Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am. Don't get me wrong. I really have enjoyed the 2 national events I have attended. I REALLY enjoy reading the magazines. Through ISSCA, I have been able to do stuff that I never dreamed of in 2002. Not to mention all of the great folks I've met at past events. Heck, I can't even complain about the price--$40. That is $24 less than I WASTED at Stupor Chevy this year, my last time to ever attend that excuse for an event.

Then there's the flip side. I've received 4 magazines in the past 12 months. They are way (nearly 4 months) behind, but yet a letter reminding me that I need to renew is right on time. I'm not sure why, but for some reason, that really bothers me.

Anyone else feel this way?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by HuSSker:
I am. Don't get me wrong. I really have enjoyed the 2 national events I have attended. I REALLY enjoy reading the magazines. Through ISSCA, I have been able to do stuff that I never dreamed of in 2002. Not to mention all of the great folks I've met at past events. Heck, I can't even complain about the price--$40. That is $24 less than I WASTED at Stupor Chevy this year, my last time to ever attend that excuse for an event.

Then there's the flip side. I've received 4 magazines in the past 12 months. They are way (nearly 4 months) behind, but yet a letter reminding me that I need to renew is right on time. I'm not sure why, but for some reason, that really bothers me.

Anyone else feel this way?
I would guess that the dues letters are generated by dates stored in a computer. It is probably easy for an UNPAID person to spend some "free" time to print and mail them.
I know that one LOAD of work goes into the production of the magazine that the UNPAID "staff" puts out.

How about:
1. The ISSCA site is changed to reflect that each member will receive four magazines a year. Perhaps six a year is just too much to do.
2. Each club writes one article a year for the magazine. The editor will then decide what will be used.
3. We, as individuals and local clubs, all offer to provide any support the editor and our directors need. This might extend to giving them some $$$$ to travel to the meetings that are held all over the US each year.
4. We all spend some of our "free" time assisting the club in any way possible.

HuSSker, I did not get you wrong. I just happened to have a soap box here so I got up on it.
The short answer to your question: No.
The long answer: See the above.

This note is NOT intended to start any type of a "you know what" contest. It is just the way I see things.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me define my answer of yes.

I would say that half of the "members" are there for the magazine. Maybe more than half. I believe in ISSCA, and love the events. If we're going to pay $40 a year, which most goes toward the magazine, I would like to get them all. If we're not going to, cut them back along with our cost. Or get rid of the Mag and charge us for the botom line. I understand it's a volunteer thing, and no finger pointing, but they did volunteer. If I could do it I would, but I can't. I don't have the knowledge or the time. I like Chris, but sometimes I wonder where he can get the time. Between his real job, the tubular arms thing, his life and his hobbies, how can he get the magazines out??????

Thanks,
Mav

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"I would guess that the dues letters are generated by dates stored in a computer. It is probably easy for an UNPAID person to spend some "free" time to print and mail them."

I see where you're coming from, but whether I'm paid, or I volunteer for something, when my word is given to do something it is kept.

"How about:
1. The ISSCA site is changed to reflect that each member will receive four magazines a year.
Perhaps six a year is just too much to do."

Perhaps it is. Then like MadMav said, drop the price to reflect a 1/3 drop in publications.

"2. Each club writes one article a year for the magazine. The editor will then decide what will be used."

I like that! That might give some of the folks here in the Springs incentive to get together consistantly enough to get chartered, and contribute to the article.

3. We, as individuals and local clubs, all offer to provide any support the editor and our directors need. This might extend to giving them some $$$$ to travel to the meetings that are held all over the US each year.

--OR--

They could use the phone/internet like the rest of us.

4. We all spend some of our "free" time assisting the club in any way possible."

I volunteered at ISSCA nationals. In fact, I volunteered when I registered. If you participated for autocross, chances are I made sure you got signed in. I realize that pales in comparison to working on the magazine, but I'm not too sure what else I can do from here.

"I would say that half of the "members" are there for the magazine. Maybe more than half."

I would too. Here's a national club, with a thousand + members, throwing a kick-a$$ national event every year, and only a small handful of the members get the chance to attend. The masses of ISSCA membership unfortunately have to pass due to circumstances in their own lives. Do you really think the ISSCA faithful that can't attend the events are sending in their dues every year to get fresh ISSCA window stickers?

Here's another question. I look at my membership dues as a contract. I provided my 1 year worth(Oct 03-Oct 04) of dues up front. The way I see it, ISSCA owes me 1 year of bi-monthly magazines. Do you think that I'll get the Jul-Aug, and the Sep-Oct issues I am owed, even if I DON'T renew?

I'm betting I don't....

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To all who question the value of dues.

While getting a bimonthly magazine is a great benefit and certainly worth the dues alone it isn’t the purpose of ISSCA. Too often the benefits of an organization like ISSCA become expected by the members as if it is the purpose for the organization. I too, like so many. enjoy the ability to gather with others who are compassionate about the vehicle, I have developed many friendships I would otherwise not have, I have learned more about the vehicle and how to preserve it than I otherwise might not have, I have been to events that I otherwise might not have because of ISSCA (and NAISSO for that matter). To quote a tag line from a famous commercial that is “priceless”. I am glad to send my dues in and appreciate the automated notice.

This is from the ISSCA by laws.
Section 1. Purpose. The general purpose of the Impala Super Sport Club of America (ISSCA), incorporated in December 2000 as a nonprofit organization, and hereinafter referred to as ISSCA, shall be to preserve and maintain the Chevrolet Impala SS, B-Bodies, and D-Bodies manufactured by General Motors including the motor vehicles produced in model year 1991 through 1996, and to serve as an accurate source of technical information concerning these automobiles for the benefit of its members.
With this in mind I encourage all who have a vested interest in the maintenance and preservation of the Impala SS, B-Bodies and D-Bodies to renew their membership and enjoy the benefits no-mater how frequently or infrequently the volunteers can produce them.

Rick "Highway" Matthews
ISSCA Member
NAISSO life member
SAIL Member

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rick, I agree with everything you say. However, nearly everything you posted from Section 1 of the bylaws (to preserve and maintain the Chevrolet Impala SS, B-Bodies, and D-Bodies... ...and to serve as an accurate source of technical information) reaches the member through the magazine. Also, I want you to look at this another way: I know of one person here in town that joined ISSCA this past summer, and has NEVER seen a magazine. Tell me how I am supposed to convince people here that getting chartered w/ISSCA is something we should strive for? I've been with ISSCA for a couple of years, and I watched ISSCA evolve a year before that. I'm no expert by any means but, I consider myself a person who knows a little about ISSCA's history, and why it was formed. The atmosphere that ISSCA bolsters, makes me want to be a part of it. However, it's not easy to get local people pumped up about a club, or getting our group chartered in, when the impression of not delivering the goods is made. Like I mentioned before, I think of it as contract, but others that receive the magazine, read what other enthusiasts that are in the national club are doing, get some cool mod ideas, tech tips, etc.--it gives them a sense of belonging. Some of us are fortunate enough to get to attend the events. Some have the talents and the drive to volunteer. But most only get the magazine. Whether it's time or money, they don't get out to the events. At that point, for those members, the magazine is their only interaction with ISSCA. The magazine means more to the members you DON'T see at the events than you know.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I too think that the magazine, "The SScene", is ISSCA's #1 item and best selling point. I love that magazine and hope that we can get 6 per year. One seldom mentioned perk that we receive as a result of ISSCA, (and the magazine), is a great amount of national press coverage, (via GMHTP mag). In my opinion the ISSCA events have received the best press coverage imaginable. And we are such a small part of their readership. But that is directly due to the fact that ISSCA advertises in GMHTP mag and because of many of the members and Executive Committee relationships with the Editors of GMHT. So like many of you, I am glad to pay $40 per year for 6 magazines. But I'm also glad to pay $40 per year for 4 magazines if that is all that is able to be published.
I do think and hope that you'll get 6 issues this year though.
The more issues the better. It'd be neat to have 1 per month!

Karl Ellwein
ISSCA Director

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the issue isn’t whether or not the dues are of value, since you agree the value of the club is about the preservation and maintenance of the our rides, which I might add is facilitated through the Forums and Digest more readily than can possibly be through a bi monthly magazine. The issue appears to be what can be done to ensure production of the magazine. If the magazine is going to be a “selling point” and the consideration in a “contract” then perhaps we should have a separate fee for the magazine. For example our current dues of $40.00 goes to general membership for those who are dues paying general members an additional $20.00 for the magazine. Also a subscription to the magazine can be had without general membership at a rate of $40.00. ISSCA supports and sponsors a number of events both national and through charter clubs, non members should be charged $20 higher when attending these events to compensate for the cost of events supported by and sponsored by ISSCA. (Membership has benefits) The direct fee for the magazine will help offset shipping production and development cost and should ensure delivery of the benefit (product) we have been anticipating.

<Tell me how I am supposed to convince people here that getting chartered w/ISSCA is something we should strive for? > Well lets focus on the benefits of being a charter club: (Ok directors jump in here and list the benefits of being a chartered club)One benefit of being a chartered club is having a voice in ISSCA charter clubs get to elect the directors in their region who then lend a voice to the collective membership. Another benefit is the liability coverage when charter clubs have events, another benefit is the financial support ISSCA provides to charter clubs when holding events. And by the way all these benefits of ISSCA are being delivered through out the year. My point is the benefit of ISSCA is about the preservation and maintenance of the car individuals gathered together with a common purpose (the purpose) can and will bring there collective abilities together to meet that purpose, Not the magazine. With out an organization like ISSCA there is no collective voice to facilitate the preservation and maintenance of the vehicle. The magazine is just one of the benefits of membership made by the contributions of the membership not the benefit.

Rick

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi I am a new ISSCA member When do the mags come out I only got one with my membership?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"I too think that the magazine, "The SScene", is ISSCA's #1 item and best selling point. I love that magazine and hope that we can get 6 per year."

Karl, I agree with your entire post. Especially the part quoted above. I'll admit, I thought is was really cool going to ImpalaFest 2002, seeing the SScene magazine there on the ISSCA table, and being able to register right there on the spot! :cool: I got my membership, and got my first issue handed to me in person! From that day on, I've read every one from cover to cover. The GMHTP coverage is REALLY cool. I also think it benefits them by having more diversity than mainly stuff like F bodies all of the time.

"So the issue isn’t whether or not the dues are of value, since you agree the value of the club is about the preservation and maintenance of the our rides, which I might add is facilitated through the Forums and Digest more readily than can possibly be through a bi monthly magazine."

That's true Rick. Here's another statistic to go with that. Whether it has been the 3 ImpalaFests I've been to, or the 2 ISSCA nationals, I can safely say that HALF of the people I visit with, do not see this forum. There are AT LEAST 6 ISSCA club members here in town that I know of, and only TWO of us ever read this forum. As for the other 2/3 of the group, I guess forums aren't their thing. But when the magazine comes in, they're like 5 year olds at Christmas! I can't stress enough how much the magazine matters.

I read through the rest of your post, and I agree with all of it. This part right here caught my eye though:
"The magazine is just one of the benefits of membership made by the contributions of the membership not the benefit."

True story:
When I saw the May-June magazine, I jokingly said to one of the magazine guys while in Vegas(I think it was Chino, but I'm not certain), "How come there's not but only a couple of '94's on the cover of the 10th anneversary issue?" I was told they couldn't find any '94 SS pictures. ISSCA knows who in their body of members drives what. I can't help but think that if '94 Impala owners were notified, ISSCA would have had their pick of 300 dpi '94 Impala pictures. It's sometimes difficult for a member to contribute to the magazine if they don't get the opportunity. Again, I really like your idea of having clubs come up with an article per year to possibly be used in an issue, if the editors choose to.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I joined a year ago I bought every past issue. Getting to the events that are in Texas, Vegas when I live in PA is a bit much. Have them closer and you will see more people from the east go. Have one in PA and see if the Vegas guys go. Meanwhile send the dagone mags otherwise what's the point of having a membership that you can't use? My local club has plent of activities.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys are bringing back bad memories about the lack of NAISSO newsletters, especially with a NAISSO life member (Highway) in the discussion.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
KC your right the lack of news letters was one of the most prevalent complaints about NAISSO and was one of the reasons leading to the birth of ISSCA, so does history repeat it self or do we learn from it. NAISSO did not have the resources (financial and human) to keep up with its obligations; it also didn’t have the member backing to continue as “the” club for the SS B & D body community.

If "The SScene", is ISSCA's #1 item and best selling point as Kevin (an ISSCA Director) states then it should be delivered as promised and the resources to make that delivery possible need to be put in place. I believe it starts with a subscription price separate and above the general membership fee so dedicated funds necessary are available to facilitate the production of the magazine. On the other hand if the magazine is simply the most tangible (as in touch it feel it) benefit of ISSCA (and admittedly most anticipated) but not the sole benefit of ISSCA then members (especially charter members) and ISSCA need to communicate the other equally important benefits of membership as the primary reasons for joining ISSCA and add the caveat there is a periodical that helps communicate to members the happenings of the organization and its members.

Members will always determine whether or not the fees charged by the organization are a good deal. With the focus of the organization on the preservation and maintenance of the SS, B & D bodies and continually engaging venders to provide products for our cars members will continue to benefit greater than the cost of their dues. After all that’s why I send my dues in.

One other very important point all the editors of the SScene are volunteers, as in unpaid, (see Bob’s post above) which means they are working full time at their lives (job, parent, spouse, partner etc.) and attempting to find the time to put together the publication. It is a daunting task which takes a huge amount of time and effort. I know the SScene could meet its production dead lines and even become more frequent if this was their only focus.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, since Wednesday, a good discussion has went on here, and a lot of good points have been brought up. A lot of solutions have been presented as well. As mentioned before, the way I see it is that ISSCA owes me 2 more magazines, whether I ever renew or not. A few others see it that way too. Others see it as one of, if not the only reason they joined. Others see the magazine as an extra, if they get it, fine, if not, that's ok too. At any rate, it is apparent that the magazine is a prevelant reason for membership for a significant number of members. I think ISSCA has to ask itself a question: How much do the members who don't get to nationals, or read this forum, matter? After all, to those members, it won't be long before they start thinking, "Out of sight, out of mind!" and decide that there is no point in sending in another $40 this year, since they haven't heard anything for months, until they received a renewal notice.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Point 1
The general purpose of the Impala Super Sport Club of America (ISSCA), incorporated in December 2000 as a nonprofit organization, and hereinafter referred to as ISSCA, shall be to preserve and maintain the Chevrolet Impala SS, B-Bodies, and D-Bodies manufactured by General Motors including the motor vehicles produced in model year 1991 through 1996, and to serve as an accurate source of technical information concerning these automobiles for the benefit of its members.

Point 2
Members will always determine whether or not the fees charged by the organization are a good deal. With the focus of the organization on the preservation and maintenance of the SS, B & D bodies and continually engaging venders to provide products for our cars members will continue to benefit greater than the cost of their dues. After all that’s why I send my dues in.

If you are not happy with the current delivery of the magazines, volunteer to make it happen. Maybe you have better and faster ways of getting it put together. Provide that input.

I personally do not have the time to contribute. I am very pleased with ISSCA. I see some of the things they do to support B/D body events.

My.02

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Fast4drSS:
Point 2
With the focus of the organization on the preservation and maintenance of the SS, B & D bodies and continually engaging venders to provide products for our cars members will continue to benefit greater than the cost of their dues. After all that’s why I send my dues in.
I have yet to benifit from any of this. The only benifit I have seen is the savings of money for the annual event. A wonderful event at that, but I don't see any other benifits from my $40 a year, other than getting a magazine every now and then. Back in the day things followed this line of thought. Year One added the B-body to there online parts store, GMHP added their add to the magazine and GM itself started to think about promoting the new W platform through ISSCA(that got shot down by the members for a good reason). But what do we have now, or in the last year?

Originally posted by Fast4drSS:
If you are not happy with the current delivery of the magazines, volunteer to make it happen. Maybe you have better and faster ways of getting it put together. Provide that input.

I personally do not have the time or means to contribute. I am very pleased with ISSCA. I see some of the things they do to support B/D body events.

My.02
I personally do not have the time or means to contribute either. Being stationed overseas, and in a highly tasked squadron keep me quite busy. Not to mention the lack of a funtional and present car to map out stories to contribute.

Being as I fall under the "Majority" of typical ISSCA members, I don't, or can't see some, if not most of the "things" that they do to support the B/D body events. You really need to be in a chartered club to reap anything, unless you participate in the yearly event. Maybe you can point out to us what we are missing(besides a few magazines) to help us see your point.

Thanks,
Mav

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MAGAZINE NOTICE!!!!!!!

To everyone that has posted here in response to Lance’s question I want to say one thing,
HANG ON !!!!!!!

Yes, Chris has been very busy and has fallen behind. Chris has also given me his word that the magazine will be coming very soon. We are also looking into getting him help to make his job easier. If you are inclined to help I’m sure he will accept.

Membership renewal notices are a monthly process and it is governed by when a member joins and it is very hard to send out these notices when a magazine has not mailed in time. However, it must be done on a timely manner also. If you think the membership is directly connected to the magazine printing you may miss an issue due to not renewing. As mentioned in previous post it’s a membership and not a subscription.

Harvey

1 - 20 of 60 Posts