Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a local store that this would be a good set up for my ride and at a very nice price.. got any comments seens how you all seem to be the airbag gods?

thanks for the help.
and jimmy I still have my order quote you gave me for a complete kit.

4 Slamm Specialtie Air Bags RS Edition
8 1/2" Parker Gold Valves 15mm
2 Viair 450 Air Compressors 100% duty cycle
2 5 Gallon Air Tanks 1/2" ports
2 Viair Dual Needle Guages 200 psi.
1 Switch Box pre wired colors avaliable red,blue,blk,oran.,clear,smoke,yell.
75 Ft. 1/2" Dot Air Line
1/2" Fittings (brass,swiverals,quick connects)
Heavy Duty Adjustable Pressure Switch
Check Valve
2 Power Relay Starter
Circuit Breaker Relay
Eletrical wire Kit

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Originally posted by Rien:
I was told by a local store that this would be a good set up for my ride and at a very nice price.. got any comments seens how you all seem to be the airbag gods?

thanks for the help.
and jimmy I still have my order quote you gave me for a complete kit.

4 Slamm Specialtie Air Bags RS Edition
8 1/2" Parker Gold Valves 15mm
2 Viair 450 Air Compressors 100% duty cycle
2 5 Gallon Air Tanks 1/2" ports
2 Viair Dual Needle Guages 200 psi.
1 Switch Box pre wired colors avaliable red,blue,blk,oran.,clear,smoke,yell.
75 Ft. 1/2" Dot Air Line
1/2" Fittings (brass,swiverals,quick connects)
Heavy Duty Adjustable Pressure Switch
Check Valve
2 Power Relay Starter
Circuit Breaker Relay
Eletrical wire Kit
Those are all good quality parts. parker valves are one of the best in the industry and so is slam specailties.

how much is he chargin you for all the parts?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply wagon boy. They said about 1300.00 for the parts...good deal?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a really good deal. I'd buy that if your lookin to get bags.

Just the bags, compressors and valves are like 1300.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks like a really good deal. I paid alot more than that and i got alot less :( Are you going to get your bag brackets somewhere else or are they included to?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
going to get them but for some reason they were not included with

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a killer deal! Buy it if you want bags. My personal opinion is that 1/2" line and valves are way too fast. I prefer 3/8" line and valves. It comes up at a good pace enough to avoid things while driving and lay it right on the concrete slowly without the thing cracking the pavement. It comes down hard with 1/2". If I was going to go fast I would juice it with accumulators, but I've been there & done that with other rides and I love the whole set up that I have now. Other than that, the stuff that you named is the best stuff on the market right now. Go for it and take some pics to share with us. Good luck. John Just my .02!

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds like a awlsome deal!

whats the companys name and #?

when i buy my wagon, i will need this info!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It does sound like a good deal.
I got all 1/2" and a nitrogen bottle it will hop, but not like my old impalas with juice.
Go for it, you will love it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah sounds like a really good deal! Let us know what shop it is, I am also looking for a good set up at a cheap price.
Should I save and get coolrides and shockwaves or would this be a better set up? I also want to be able to install the bags myself, which one is easier to do?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how's this system
http://store.gaugemagazine.com/product.asp?0=200&1=661&3=1478

3/8 SMC Competition F,B,S,S Fast Bag Kit
2- Viair 450C Compressors
2- 5 Gallon Tanks
8- 1 Way 3/8 SMC Valves
1- 10-Switch Pre-Wired Box
1- 150Psi. Pressure Switch
2- Glass Water Traps
4- Firestone Air Bags
All fittings and 60ft.-air line
For Air Bag Brackets Please Visit Our (Air Bag Brackets Page)

$1300

or this
http://store.gaugemagazine.com/product.asp?0=200&1=662&3=1480

1/2 SMC Competition F,B,S,S Fast Bag Kit
2- Viair 450C Compressors
2- 5 Gallon Tanks
8- 1 Way 1/2 SMC Valves
1- 10-Switch Pre-Wired Box
1- 150Psi. Pressure Switch
1- Glass Water Trap
4- Firestone Air Bags
All fittings and 60ft.-air line
For Air Bag Brackets Please Visit Our (Air Bag Brackets Page)

$1500

or is it worth spending 850 for shockwaves, 400 for coolrides and 2000 for the intelliride that air ride has?

any comments or suggetions welcome.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
man, some times i am slow to a post... Sometimes even i beat wagonboy, but the past few days, I have been really sick, and broke, so i try to stay away from the forum since everytime i look here, i get another idea of something to work/spend money on...

about the deals...
The "First Deal"
The one with the slam specialties and parker valves... 3 thumbs up.. great deal, IF you really get all that stuff. If you break those down individually, that is a big savings. Kinda one of those "man this is cheap, a little too cheap"

The "firestone" deal...
ahhhh... hmmmm....
First of all... The 10 way switch prewired box, if its the plexiglass CRAP that AIM sells, plan on throwing that away. Firestone bags are good. At our old shop, we never had someone comeback with a blown bag, UNLESS they drove around on 0psi, or the flex in the bag pushed into something hot. (the later was only on customers coming to us FROM another shop)
For $1500 i would have to say NO... Buy it seperatly, and plan your purchases.

PS, Slam Specialties have inner BUMP STOPS, so when you blow a fuse, and get stuck draggin your ass home on 0psi, you dont have to worry about grinding away your inner rubber bead that holds the bag together. Plus they dont FLEX.

_____PERSONAL OPINIONS______

Compressors.....
I wouldnt do Dual Compressors. save a bit of cash, and go with a nitrogen tank. Personally, i think the only time you would go through enough air to deserve dual compressors, is if you are showing off, inwhich case you will want nitrogen tank anyways.

AIR LINE.....
Surprisingly, if you dont go to "cheap "insert wording here" parts.com" and you go to a place intown that makes DOT aproved airline, you can get steel braided airline for about $1.30 - $2 a foot with push to connects. This is my preference, at 70 feet, that (max $150) is worth not being stuck onthe side of the road on your trip way out of town because a twist tie came loose and your line drug on the tire or the ground.

VALVES....
Parker, HERION, are the ones i trust/believe in. Most valves that people sell with "MY-STORE-BRAND-NAME" are just valves that real companies that rely on valves working everyday rely on. Do the research. Find a local Pnumatic/Hydraulic supply Shop, and ask them what the best valves are for heavy duty pnumatic use is. These are people who deal with this EVERY DAY, and whose "making money" revolves around a good set of valves. Remember when pricing valves, you need one with electronic 12 volt selenoid, for AIR (pnumatic) use.

Switch BOX...
Cool, all 3 packages seem to want to sell that box, must have realized that they are crap, and trying to sell em cheap. "quick put em in a package deal so people will think their gettin a deal" I am not saying wiring a 10 way switch box is easy, but you will finally rip it out and drag frame ontop of that box with frustration.

WIRING...
Find a local electronics shop. find 12 different color wiring. If you donot, you will hate wiring this thing up.

Fittings...
There are pretty ways to do this. There is a company with a buffalo/bison as their logo (i donot remember who as of this sec) who makes nicklel fittings. Really clean looking, i am thinking $5 a piece but i am probably wrong...
when ordering Remember Push to connect and self crimping are 2 seperate things, and figure out what you are doing with the air line prior to getting the fittings.

Valve Size...
It is not the size of the valve but how you use it. that is another Myth... If you have QUAD 1" ports to every bag, and you are driving 80, and want to lower your car 1-2 inches... FORGET IT... there is only ALL UP AND ALL DOWN. My personal preference, which hopefully soon will be a reality, is... 1/2 or 3/8 UP and a smaller 3/8 or 1/4 down... This option lets you GET UP quick when you suddenly see that pothole, but lets you gracefully set the car down to 1/16th of an inch off the concrete when cruising town.
BUT THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO VARY YOUR VALVE SIZE... as "grocerygetter" said its too hard at times... The secret is in this.. Just because the VALVE is a 2 inch port does not mean that you are stuck with 2" of air (ps i am being exageratory in my numbers) you can get a "stepdown" as i call it. It simply does that, takes a 1", 1/2", 3/8" and steps the hole size down to a lower size. Just like a water faucet, just because the water is connected to the ground by a 5" pipe, if you barely turn the faucet, less comes out. So you go to a show, and you need to bounce, take the fitting off the end of your export pipe, and you have full opening again.

Final personal opinion... I will never trust KIT parts with NO NAME. if it is a "circuit breaker" or "All fittings + Air Line" count on throwing them away... They might work like a dream, but to believe them to be good quality when ordering... is..umm.. stupid.

FOR YOU NITROGEN GUYS......
there are little things you can get for cheap if you just go to a real store (not a car supply store)
Hand Wheels for easy nitrogen tank disconnections...
Swivel Connectors
Through Body Connectors
Things that will clean up the look, and are relatively cheap too...

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Crispix396:

Switch BOX...
Cool, all 3 packages seem to want to sell that box, must have realized that they are crap, and trying to sell em cheap. "quick put em in a package deal so people will think their gettin a deal" I am not saying wiring a 10 way switch box is easy, but you will finally rip it out and drag frame ontop of that box with frustration.

WIRING...
Find a local electronics shop. find 12 different color wiring. If you donot, you will hate wiring this thing up.

They should be prewired. So you just have to run a hot to it, and a wire to every valve.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh, those were 2 seperate things...

THE SWITCHBOX... is still crap. ALl by its self.. its crap... Bad switches. Any one who has one, i would love to hear if you think it is quality. The switches are hard to throw and they have tendency to stick, its bulky, once we broke it open and took it apart to replace all the switches, we found out that a few of the wires werent in the right spot.

RL up-dn
RR up-dn

when these 8 wires are all in the car, it is simple to say that the "red-blue stripe is FR UP" versus our first one where we tried to stick masking tape on it and thread it through the car, and then try and figure it out...

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My deal if those parts are good is a real ligit deal. I did business with them from my business and they said anytime just let them know.. I didnt know what was good and what was crap so just thought I would ask..

but if i can piece it out seperatly and not run dual compressors then this is the way i would like to go and just buy a little bit every week untill complete.

any one willing to email me with a list of every thing that I will need to get this together??
thanks for all the opinons

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, you pretty much have the list... you actually have 3 lists... Just go down the list.

First decide what valve size you want.
then plan from there.

Ps, add a second battery for the hell of it. If the compressors run while you have it turned off, you want some extra juice as to not drain a battery.

PS, if you are going to do it 'my way' pay CLOSE ATTENTION to wehter or not a hose/valve/fitting is rated in Inner Diameter ID or Outter diameter OD.

a 1/2" OD line is only 3/8" IN (Figuratively) where as 1/2"ID hose wont fit into a 1/2"ID Valve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts