Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know that HID's in stock housings glare horribly, but has anyone ever experimented with the hi/lo kits? I was thinking you could possibly aim the headlights to where you had two settings, high glare and low glare. cwm1

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
I PUT Hids in my 92 legacy. H4 bulbs. It had a stock cutoff (very weak like t84s) shield in it. I got the Lo/Hi Hids. They came with another shield that locked into the housing, and the bulb into that. the highs had the bulb pull slightly back to expose more bulb inside the shield. Those even glared decently bad too.

Here they were on low:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There's only one way to not have glare:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I PUT Hids in my 92 legacy. H4 bulbs. It had a stock cutoff (very weak like t84s) shield in it. I got the Lo/Hi Hids. They came with another shield that locked into the housing, and the bulb into that. the highs had the bulb pull slightly back to expose more bulb inside the shield. Those even glared decently bad too.

Here they were on low:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There's only one way to not have glare:

True, but thats expensive and I'm not really a fan of the projector look on B-Body's. I wish someone made a decent shielded reflector housing for our cars, that would yield a little better results than the pinpoint light we get now.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
My Imp has the hi/lo kit and I honestly don't notice any difference in glare between the settings, the pattern just vaguely changes. I had been planning on trying to paint the top half of the lens black from the inside to see if I could cut some glare but lost interest cause I don't have a b-body as a daily driver anymore. I can almost see a cutoff with my TB headlights and lo only HIDs but it's way up in the sky and theres hotspots. If you don't like the look of projectors I would just learn to live with it.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
True, but thats expensive and I'm not really a fan of the projector look on B-Body's. I wish someone made a decent shielded reflector housing for our cars, that would yield a little better results than the pinpoint light we get now.

that's the problem. About the only way you're going to get better results is to go to a projector setup. Otherwise pretty much any standard reflector setup you go to is going to yield the same pattern as stock.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
i have the high/low kit in mine. 55w 6k. I really dont have any glare in mine... but my headlights are tinted. :p lol

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Pimp, you happen to have any pics of your light setup? (not your favorite mod lol)

My car is not a daily and I don't have too many dark areas I roll through, so I'm not too worried about it.

I had some 35w 6000k's and got rid of them because I didn't like losing the hi low ability, now I'm thinking about going back with some 4500k hi lo's, just for aesthetic purposes. I had some glare but aimed down and never got flashed. Just thinking about possibilities.Still there's nothing I hate more than the guy in the Silverado with 55w 8000k's that look like they're aimed UP,blinding the **** out of everybody

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Hey Pimp, you happen to have any pics of your light setup? (not your favorite mod lol)

My car is not a daily and I don't have too many dark areas I roll through, so I'm not too worried about it.

I just put in the hi/lo kit and smoked the lights.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Clean! As always... But I was hoping to see what your light output looked like...Hmmm, I got an idea, as a continuation of The Favorite mod theme, let's get some night time shots. I'm trying to see what the "cutoffs" and "spread" looks like. lol

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just wonder what type of reflector, etc. the cars had which were non-projector, hid equpped. Like the old Bravada's, Escalades, Acura TL's, Mercedes E and CLK series etc. Those lamps were okay.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
I just wonder what type of reflector, etc. the cars had which were non-projector, hid equpped. Like the old Bravada's, Escalades, Acura TL's, Mercedes E and CLK series etc. Those lamps were okay.
As far as I'm aware bravada's never came with HIDS. They've always used the 9005/9006 combo same with the first few years Escalade. The First two/three year TL's came with HB3/9003s.
The older HIDs used a standard non shielded reflector housing, but you come back to the same problem of controlled light/glare, and the OP would be at the same point of just using HIDs in stockers.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
i dont have any night time, on the road shots... but i'll see what i can do to get you some.

maybe even video.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello all,
Try these. You can choose the k's and this one has a hi/low option. It is the middle of the three kits available. The cheaper and most expensive don't have the hi-beam choice. I haven't ordered these yet because every time I am ready to order, something more urgent comes up that needs fixing. Right now I am just experimenting with the different regular bulbs and aiming until I can get these. There is also a large order discount. I have to find my AC leak before spending money on lights and new assemblies.

http://www.xtralights.com/xetroniclightingsystem-9004typepair.aspx

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hello all,
Try these. You can choose the k's and this one has a hi/low option. It is the middle of the three kits available. The cheaper and most expensive don't have the hi-beam choice. I haven't ordered these yet because every time I am ready to order, something more urgent comes up that needs fixing. Right now I am just experimenting with the different regular bulbs and aiming until I can get these. There is also a large order discount. I have to find my AC leak before spending money on lights and new assemblies.

http://www.xtralights.com/xetroniclightingsystem-9004typepair.aspx
no person in their right mind would or should ever spend that much on kits when DDMtuning sells them dirt cheap. i bought the apexcone raptor kit a while back before ddm dropped their price.

if theres an issue with glare why dont you just get clear lense? (serious question)

i mean ive never seen a side by side comparison of the light output of the same kit in 2 different lense

·
Registered
399 Posts
As far as I'm aware bravada's never came with HIDS. They've always used the 9005/9006 combo same with the first few years Escalade. The First two/three year TL's came with HB3/9003s.
The older HIDs used a standard non shielded reflector housing, but you come back to the same problem of controlled light/glare, and the OP would be at the same point of just using HIDs in stockers.
I don't know the exact years they installed the HID's in the Bravada but, some models had a factory HID setup. Maybe the top of the line model? Somewhere between the 98-02 model years. I just saw one the other day and I use to see them occasionally back in the day.

Projectors are the only way to go for a clean, sharp pattern. I had factory HID headlamps from 300M Special in my 300M. Those were amazing with the sharp cutoff of the projectors. I have an HID kit in my stock Roadmaster housings. They are many times better than the old yellow halogens and are angled down to reduce oncoming traffic glare. The pattern isn't great but, I do plan to retrofit projectors in a set of factory housings one day. I'm thinking about clear TSX projectors.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
no person in their right mind would or should ever spend that much on kits when DDMtuning sells them dirt cheap. i bought the apexcone raptor kit a while back before ddm dropped their price.

if theres an issue with glare why dont you just get clear lense? (serious question)

i mean ive never seen a side by side comparison of the light output of the same kit in 2 different lense
You mean those Clear\Smoked Lenses that were all the rage until they jacked the price up? Didn't people say the output was worse than stock? Which in my experience, is pretty terrible.

i dont have any night time, on the road shots... but i'll see what i can do to get you some.

maybe even video.
Cool

1 - 20 of 20 Posts