Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there's a thread out there somewhere, but I'm having trouble finding it...so, in the meantime I was hoping to get some assistance with my headlight upgrade plz.

I currently have Howard's whisperjet harness and I have new clear headlight capsules...so now I'm looking to upgrade the actual lighting to either HID or LED...any thoughts thoughts/comments/suggestions?

Thx in advance!

Rob

·
Registered
42 Posts
HID with projectors is the best way to go. Since you already have the clear lenses just pop em open and retrofit a projector in there. You get better visibility, brighter light, nice sharp cut off, and most important of all, you don't blind other drivers! You won't regret doing it once you see the difference... A few other people have tried the LEDs and say it's not the same and mostly blinds other drivers even when pointed correctly. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I agree and I'm leaning towards HIDs...don't they need ballasts and a fan or something? Any advice/suggestions on which ones/where to buy these?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
He's saying HID's in proper projector housings. Not that hard to do. Any else just pisses off oncoming drivers. NO matter how low you point them down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If your On a budget, DDM tuning has a pretty good kit for a very reasonable price. Less than $50 I believe for the regular kit.. But if you have $ to blow, then I would go with a morimoto kit from theretrofitsource.com ... A little pricey, but like they say themselves, you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would you recommend the 35W or 50W Ballast? What's the difference other than brighter lights for slightly shorter life-span? Are these plug and play? Remember, I have a whisperjet harness...does that affect the install process?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well that's going to be up to you and the look your going for. The 55w does change the color output though. So a 6000k bulb at 35w is going to have a slightly different color than at 55w. Look on the site and they definitely have a chart comparing the color. 35w is plenty bright though, and should be plug and play as long you get one of the 9004 kits... Here's how 6000k looks from the front at 35w. And this is in a clear lense w/o projectors. DDM kit btw

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
And this is at night.. 2 different exposures so you can get an idea. But in reality its somewhere in between. And as you see, I have mine pointed way down till I get the chance to retrofit some projectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry but it won't let me upload more than 1 pic per post.. Or flip it the right way. Here's the other.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I never fit bulbs other than stock locations, but I can't stand all the extra hardware associated with HID's. Plus, I thought the light was crap. So I pulled all the ridiculous crap from the HID's out and threw some LED's in. Can't say the light is any better, but it certainly isn't worse, and now I just have bulbs plugged into my buckets again...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts