Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the DDM 55w 8k kit, when I turn the hids on they flash and cut right off. Sometimes they work, some times only on side works. If I just unhook the ground on oneside then hook it back up that side would cut back on, but that only works sometimes. Would could be the problem? I check all the conection everything is right. Also when the hids do work and they turn on they look more green then blue. I was looking for a hint of blue but don't realy see blue.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought the problem was, a bad ground. I scraped the paint off the fenders and ground them on the fender screws. If the origanal bulbs wasn't getting enuff volts would they hids even work at all? The driver side works more oftern then the passenger side.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I had similar problems with a HID kit in my past Mustang. It was a bad ballast.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
hey timmy like 94mi9c1 was saing, make sure the car is on because if you have an old battery its probly not putting out enough voltage.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I get the chance I'll check the battery voltage. I do have an old battery. I just turned my car on and the H.I.Ds worked. They seem to work every morning once the car has rest.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Also check the grounds on the core support, back side to the left of the radiator, these are for the original headlight connectors, could possibly have something to do with it. G102 and G106 in the attached pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have been having HID problems also. One of my lights turned from a pure white to a blueish color. Any ideas?

·
Registered
796 Posts
I have a set on my Armada that would "flicker" upon cranking the engine (auto lights). Also have a set on wife's Accord. I've found this "issue" depends on the vehicle (and obviously manufcatured ballast). Voltage to the ballast is the issue on the Armada. The Accord's "trigger" or headlight circuit has steady VDC feed. If one light is out, I'd normally turn the switch off & on, and all is well.

What people have done to alleviate voltage issues is install a relay harness, which is wired straight to the battery. The normal headlight connector is just used as a trigger of sorts for the relay coil (voltage requirement is low to "lock-in").

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With mind I've seen a pattern to where once the car has been sitting for a while, like in the morning the work but once I get to work I turn them off and back on and the don't work. Once it's time for me to leave work the hids turn on with no problem. When I get home turn them off they don't work or just one side works.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I had similar problems with a HID kit in my past Mustang. It was a bad ballast.
Yep. Its the ballast. Had the same problems before with cheap ballast. You can use a relay as a temporary fix but eventually it will go out completely. I found out if I put my parking brake on 1st before starting the car then release it they would both come on that's if you have automatic lights. Either way your gonna need new ballast. Try CPS in the vender section I bought a couple sets and haven't had any problems so far. Get the premium ones.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how long have you had them? ive had mne for well over a year and one of mine has gone from white to kind of a greenish white.
I ordered the 8k kit thinking it would have blueish white but they look greenish white then turn bright white.

So my problem could either be bad battery? Or bad ballast?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yep. Its the ballast. Had the same problems before with cheap ballast. You can use a relay as a temporary fix but eventually it will go out completely. I found out if I put my parking brake on 1st before starting the car then release it they would both come on that's if you have automatic lights. Either way your gonna need new ballast. Try CPS in the vender section I bought a couple sets and haven't had any problems so far. Get the premium ones.
Yeah i would guess it's the ballast if everything is installed correctly and you didn't have these problems in the beginning when the kit was first installed. With my last kit on my GT the driver's side headlight wouldn't always come on when i flipped on the headlights, replaced the digital ballast and problem solved. I've had a couple of $80 HID kits from eBay and i had to replace one ballast and a bulb (discoloration) after a few months.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I had the issue of when the cars off for a while the light turn one but if the car been on for a while one of the lights won't turn on, but it was a bad bulb.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anyone know if the 35w Hi/Low kit require ground connections?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts