Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's up guys i have a 95 impala ss and i'm having trouble with my idle. I have already replace my IAC and TPS sensor and cleaned my throttle body. I'll triple check for vacuum leaks but none that i'm aware of at this time. It seems to only happen after i go WOT and when i seem to come and park the car i notice that it is idling alot higher than when i first started. Any suggestions, as of why it would it would do this and what I could check thanks.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't have a tack but how would i correct the blades from sticking after WOT ? thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Just make sure on the blades there is no debris keeping them from closing as well as in the bores, that is all that I can offer, could be a throttle cable sticking a bit as well. Also note that the IAC will follow the throttle to a certain point where as if it is sticking at a certain point after wide open throttle it can cause an idle higher than normal condition. Does the idle ever calm down after you let it sit and idle for a bit.?

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Any mods such as heads or cam? Can you get a log with Datamaster? IF so, check the BLM's and O2 cross counts.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes i have a LE2 head and cam package. And ya i guess that i'm going to have to completely take the TB off again i guess and see what's up. Was there anything that i was to do when i replaced the TSP sensor or IAC sensor when installing other than install then. Just seems weird. And i'll check the cable, thanks guys

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
You have to set the TPS so that it reads .67 volts at the closed position. You should also perform the IAC reset procedure. Is it a stock TB, BBK, what size? You could have split BLM's, which is why I recommend getting a DM log.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
VoltAge at idle doesn't have to be .67 volts at idle. It's more important to be less than 4.8 volts at wot

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
I had a very similar problem when I installed the 58mm BBK trottle body in my car when the stroker went in. Look at the attached photo to see what was going on with mine.

The top plate/bracket in the photo is connected to the cruise control cable. The plate/bracket behind it has the throttle stop for the idle position and the throttle cable attached. The post/rivet that comes through these plates is connected to the throttle blades. This post/rivet is mechanically "peened over" to clamp the two plates to the post. On mine, the mechanical attachment just was not tight enough to hold the plates "fixed" together. When I stomped on the throttle to WOT, the blades would open, and the force of the cable would pull the plate around a few degrees of rotation. When returned to "idle" , there was 1/8" to 1/16" of air gap between the throotle stop on the plate and the adjustment screw, meaning that the throttle blades were still slightly open resulting in a fast idle. I would have to rotate the bracket to the correct idle position by hand.

I solved the problem by tack welding the plates and rivet together as shown in the photo. No more fast idle after WOT. Problem solved.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
LeadSSled, thanks very much for posting. I was having the same problem with my BBK. Hadn't noticed that mine was slipping just like yours was. Few tacks and it solved the problem exactly as you described. THANKS.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
LeadSSled, thanks very much for posting. I was having the same problem with my BBK. Hadn't noticed that mine was slipping just like yours was. Few tacks and it solved the problem exactly as you described. THANKS.
You are quite welcome. That's what the old guys are here for. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts