Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to get ALL the brakes, rear end, and front control arms from a 96 9C1 that "was running recently" for a damn good price. The catch is, the car has 260k. My plan is to take all the parts and get them rebuilt before they go onto my car (i.e. rebuild the calipers, put new bushings and ball joints in the control arms and save the rear end, rebuild it and clean it up for another day.)

Does anyone have any input on this being an upgrade to respective worn 91 civi equipment? I could probably pick up the sway bars and springs at the same time. While this stuff will be very cheap for me, I just dont know if it would be worth my time, effort, and money to pick it up and salvage it to put onto my car. Im looking for some suggestions on what to do.

Id really like to spruce up my suspension some and this seems like a low cost alternative to brand new parts. I have springs and shocks already but the front end is sagging a bit from really worn bushings and the car isn't even remotely fun to drive in any kind of turning situation. ANY advice is welcomed and much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The springs will raise it up a bit for sure, the sway bars would help in the cornering. And since it is coming of a 96 the LCA should have the bigger ball joints. If your serious about putting new bushings in I'd say go for it.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Id cut the springs, and all of those things are desired in addition to slightly better braking. Will the metal from any of these part s be too stressed from age and abuse that can't use them?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have the chance to get ALL the brakes, rear end, and front control arms from a 96 9C1 that "was running recently" for a damn good price. The catch is, the car has 260k. My plan is to take all the parts and get them rebuilt before they go onto my car (i.e. rebuild the calipers, put new bushings and ball joints in the control arms and save the rear end, rebuild it and clean it up for another day.)
Make sure you get the spindles/knuckles as well. They're part of the 5/8" ball joint upgrade. As for the miles, check the lca's and uca's for all rust, impact or degradation, but they should be fine. New spindles can still be gotten if the old ones are worn. All of the ball joints and bushings should be replaced w/ new.

For the brakes, you'll want everything from behind the pedal up to and including the master cylinder if you want to upgrade to the JA9 rpo for the front. Probably not worth the hassle given the marginal improvement, but that's what it'll take. The rear JL9 upgrade from drums is definitely worthwhile, particularly if you're swapping the rear end. Just be aware that the axles are narrower and the rear will tuck in more.

Re the issue w/ less than desirable turning, have you replaced your body bushings?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure you get the spindles/knuckles as well. They're part of the 5/8" ball joint upgrade. As for the miles, check the lca's and uca's for all rust, impact or degradation, but they should be fine. New spindles can still be gotten if the old ones are worn. All of the ball joints and bushings should be replaced w/ new.

For the brakes, you'll want everything from behind the pedal up to and including the master cylinder if you want to upgrade to the JA9 rpo for the front. Probably not worth the hassle given the marginal improvement, but that's what it'll take. The rear JL9 upgrade from drums is definitely worthwhile, particularly if you're swapping the rear end. Just be aware that the axles are narrower and the rear will tuck in more.

Re the issue w/ less than desirable turning, have you replaced your body bushings?
If I get the master cylinder, do I need to get any of the lines? Or just the master and slave cylinder? I'm petty sure I need the master for the rear end anyway. Will my civilian rotor and surrounding parts fit on the 9c1 knuckle? I have a 91 so from what I understand, the 9c1 rear is the same width. And no I haven't replaced the body bushings yet, I'm too afraid I'm going to get an unnecessarily harsh ride from the poly bushings I have

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
If I get the master cylinder, do I need to get any of the lines? Or just the master and slave cylinder? I'm petty sure I need the master for the rear end anyway. Will my civilian rotor and surrounding parts fit on the 9c1 knuckle? I have a 91 so from what I understand, the 9c1 rear is the same width. And no I haven't replaced the body bushings yet, I'm too afraid I'm going to get an unnecessarily harsh ride from the poly bushings I have
I really couldn't speak to what you'll actually need as mine just came w/ it. Others here are more qualified to address that. All I know is that the MC is bored differently (larger) and the pedal to booster linkage may be different. Whether you have ABS or not will figure into what, if any, additional lines you'll need as well. Your rotors should be direct fit and you'll want to replace the wheel bearings w/ new.

Agree w/ poly bushings and ride "harshness". See if you can locate soft rubber replacements. The bushings DO make a big difference.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your input SEO9C1! I remember waynes91 posted alot of info on swapping a 9c1 rear into his 91 before the crash. Hopefully he's still around to get some specifics cleared up.

I'm curious to know if these springs will still be useable after cutting them since they have such high miles or if I should just wait until I have the money for newer set to bring my front end down a bit more.

If any one has any other input, it would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts