Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

High Mileage+N2O=

5K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  sleeperv8 
#1 ·
I have a RMS with 162k miles and I'm considerin runnin about a 75hp shot any suggestions or warnings or just don't do its. Whats the most I should put to that motor if any? Has anybody ran a high mileage motor on nitrous? Basic first time nitrous advice welcome.

#2 ·
Hey Steph,
If the motor appears to be in good health, I'd have no issue spraying a 75 shot. If you're running the stock tune, no need to pull timing, just run 93 octane in it. If you have a custom tune, I'd pull 2 degrees.
Another concern: make sure your trans is solid before doing this.

#3 ·
I'm in the process of getting the tranny rebuilt with the transgo hd2 with a 3000 pro edge converter. The motor runs strong I got Mike workin with me I seen you at Kilkare.

#4 ·
.... I seen you at Kilkare.
What!.....you think I'm that old that I don't remember you?!!!!!!!!! :D

Hit that 75 at the line with some DR's or slicks and you'll take a full second off your ET ;)

#5 ·
MIke told me you're an engineer so I know you're probably border line genious so I figures you'd remember. What all did you do get in to the 13's. I really just wanna hit 13's before winter comes

#6 ·
Taking the 24s off will help you get there

#7 ·
Quoted for truth!

#8 ·
I took the wheels off last week an that car is just a better car all around it rides better, stops better, an most importantly burns rubber better. So we're pullin the transmission out to be rebuilt with a transgo hd2 and a 3000 edge converter. Gas mileage went up too. I added the March underdrive pulley set while we were getting the wheels off.

#9 ·
I spray a 100 shot with no issues, ran about 5 bottles through it so far. i have 190k on my car.
It did a 13.4 at 100mph. the motor is all stock with cai, cat-back and a built trans with a 3000 stall Vigilante converter and 3.73 gears.
They usually say every 10 pounds of unsprung weight is about .10 drop in the quarter....so taking off those heavy wheels is going to help.
I also had drag radials....i pulled a 1.90 60'
good luck

#10 · (Edited)
I took the wheels an made a bunch of passes the best I got was a 14.15. I seen somebody on here had a high mileage wagon here runnin nitrous but I have ran nitrous. Did you upgrade your valve springs an rockers? Did you use a different fuel pump? And what kit did you use? I been lookin at the zex 82018 but again I have no experience with nitrous.

#11 ·
My wagon has 156k miles on the stock motor and I spray a 150 shot. I have 1.6 roller rockers (EX valve springs and hardened push rods?). It was a kit CMS put together a long time ago. I run a Walbro 255 fuel pump, NX wet kit and spray through the shifts. I'll tell you that I just got it running again and it has not been to the track in 3.5 years. A branch fell through my vista glass the local strip closed and I just didn't have the time or drive to put the interior back and tow it to a track far away. I do have it up and running now, but have a tranny issue to work out. Last count I had was over 1,400+ passes (lost count). I have run over 60+ bottles through the motor and I just hope it holds together after sitting.

BTW: Back when I was racing a bunch the ZEX kits had a box that would overheat (at least what I saw at the track).

HTH

#12 ·
I was running a racetronix fuel pump/harness kit.
the kit i have is from nitrousoutlet there lt1 brand x 22-81000.
but i also bought the fuel pressure safety switch, inline filter, purge kit, and i also have an msd window switch set at 3000rpm.

At the time the motor was all stock ..i have lt1 edit so i reduced the shift mph a little.( later on I did do valve springs, and rocker arms)
I had a wot switch, but because from the solenoids to the nozzle are 2' lines the hit is softer .....if you had a plate system it would be a harder hit.

#13 · (Edited)
Do you have any suggestions on a budget friendly nitrous set up? I don't want a plate set up because I'm gonna try to hide everything.

#15 ·
Do you have any suggestions on a budget friendly nitrous set up?
Look on CL. Before they were around I bought two complete NX kits with heaters and everything off a local racing forum. I paid $350 for one and $300 for the other. Your FP should be good up to a 100 shot and make sure you have a FPSS you can also find a used ignition box for $150-200.

#14 · (Edited)
the kit I got was cheaper end but still good quality....but it was all the other add-ons that the price went up. $349 for the kit.
my opinion is to bite the bullet and spend the money for a good kit that has all the extras....because your just going to want them later on any way.
some very good info on nitrous is www.nitroustech.com
this is www.nitrousoutlet.com forum...if you are trying to hide the set up look at this i have it and love it http://nitrousoutlet.com/catalog/product.asp?category=23&section=94&group=725&product=3446

#16 ·
I have an Msd 6a box on the car now. I just want the bottom end to hold up because honestly i'll probably only use about 2-3 bottles next summer. I'm hopin to get close to 12s

#17 ·
I dropped 11 tenths with a 100 shot....run premium fuel...i think you will be alright:)

#18 ·
I been lookin at the Zex kit because it supposibly has athe ability to adjust nitrous an fuel so it won't run lean or rich but if there's a cheaper safe way I'm in. 11 tenths is a nice gain, once I get my rocker arms an valve springs I think I hit high 13s an with that 100 shot should 12s if all goes well.:D

#19 ·
I have heard that too about zex nitrous...it would sort of give you pease of mind. I agree you should not have any issues hitting 12s. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.