Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering who has the highest milage Caprice out there? I just bought a One-owner beauty that came with the window sticker, $2500. Almost perfect, this guy was meticulous. Regular service intervals, etc... 183,000 miles.

Who has a high mile car with a story?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While I can't beat that (only 122,000) I have
an addendum to add to that question. I see alot about the failures of the tranny. I'd like to see who has the most miles on their
original (like mine) tranny.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rick "Highway" Matthews of San Antonio now has somewhere over 200K on his 96 Impala SS, and I believe he's still on the original Tranny.

Someone posted on the NAISSO list last year about an SS in their local club with over 300K on it, still original motor and tranny.

So yeah, it CAN be done :D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Gang,

Mixed luck on my ride...

175,600 miles on original motor with original optispark...Used the Tri-Y's to fix my broken bolt (what better justification is there?) :D

New Transmission at 63267,107760,120680,and 174300. :(

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Theres a guy who runs a junk yard in Northern GA who had one with the original motor,or so he says (doesnt seem like the BS kind but hey you never know) and it has 278k miles on the odometer. He bought the car new from the dealer in 1991. The interior and exterior are not in the best shape as he proboblly only runs it through an auto carwash and he drives it around his junk yard. Anyways I just thought Id add that little bit.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A friend of mine bought 2 95 9C1's at an auction last year..cars were outstanding condition and he only looked quick at odometer...thought 22k WOW super low miles and picked both up pretty cheap...upon looking closer the odometers said 225k...it took a looong time to resell those ...

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
225K on original engine tranny and rearend right here baby. :cool:

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ultrazone.......What would you attribute it to in your opinion? Simply lucky and get a good tranny or do you not run yours as hard?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats there UZone. It can be done. And most of us know you have had yours "loaded to the gills" at times. :D

Gassit:
I am curious. Hopefully at least some of those overhauls were "under warranty from the previous poor jobs"???
Any reasons or preventative insights you can offer to those of us they hope their relatively stock engine/4l60E combination last at least 150K??

I can lay claim to two 700R4s (precursor to the 4160E that are in our cars) on which I acheived over 200K miles. I still have one 91 GMC now with 210K miles and no problems ever... towing occassionally as well.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a dealership that I was looking at buying a car from and they had a 96 9c1 with 480,000 miles on it. It was the owners daily driver. The only problem he had with the car is it would load up when sitting for a while, but other than that the car ran fine. I dont know if the tranny had ever been changed.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey folks 1991 9c1 with 704,807km runs great! Rebuilt the engine once, transmission could be replaced yet still holding in. Exterior shines and looks better than any 96' 9c1 out there!! i luuuv it.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey folks 1991 9c1 with 704,807km runs great!

How many miles is that?!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Miles?? me na know dat, sorry star. Replaced so far were both front springs, left lower control arm, front shocks, left sway bar link, muffler, and that's about it. I mean i can't expect a towncar outta an 11yr old car with 704+ klikz. It is still running nice and smooth, looking sharp and clean. I have to get new tires, a new windshield, and after I pay off $70 to finish an outstanding bill i am planning on installing clear strobes in front markers and reverse lights.
When I look at my Caprice I feel uniqness, pride, power, and authority. I have a large list of plans to do, but I am getting those important things done first.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Crusier's kilometers equals about 438K miles. Pretty impressive for what he has had to replace.

1 mile = 1.609 kilometers
1 kilo = 0.621 miles

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
those are very impressive numbers... congrats!

The reason my car has held up so well is... well.... grampa driving! Actually the car belonged to my dad's uncle who owns a farm. So he used this car when he needed to check out he cattle of a potential seller. So I'd say that 75% of the miles on my Civi are highway miles. But this car has not been babied tho. It had no garage for 8 years of its life.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sspeedyg:
... they had a 96 9c1 with 480,000 miles on it. It was the owners daily driver. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And nightly driver as well I think. That adds up to 219 miles a day for six years! just because they have lots of miles on them doesn't mean they are worn out!

Fletch

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've just turned 190,000 on by 93 Caprice, 305 ci. Orignal engine and trans, only things done regular oil and trans oil changes. Only broken parts EVER is the starter. :D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My freind "Frenchie" who lives in Quebec got a 91' 9c1 with 946,882 kms!! It's got dirty stained 86' 9c1 wheel covers, classic rust on rear quarter panels, dull oxidized navy blue paint, dulled yellow headlights, dulled and weathered front grill, broken trunk lock cylinder, and blo-torn muffler. So far he's replaced u-joint, muffler and tailpipe, driver's side caliper, oil pressure switch, tires and brakes.

He drives gently but definatly does not show enough pride and TLC on his Caprice. Washes it odd times, and changes oil and checks brakes regularly to say the most.
It's one of the worst Caprices iv'e seen but definatly asks other vehciles if they can go through what these 9c1's go through and still be in one piece.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts