Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latey when I start my95SS for the first time of the day, it revs to 1500RPMs and stays there for about 2 seconds then slows down to 1000 and when it warms just a bit goes to the ususal 800 where it normally runs.

I think I may be sucking air somewhere, what do you guys think? I am going to be removing the intake to get it powdercoated and to take care of an oil leal. I am hoping that takes care of it, but what else should I check to fix this problem?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Somebody must know something that can help me--eh?

·
Registered
731 Posts
You can check for vacuum leaks with the unlit propane torch method. Also, if you want to test the IAC valve, take an ohm meter and test the sensor for resistance. First, unplug the sensor. There are 4 terminals in the IAC connectior, set up like this: [ 1 2 3 4 ]. Test terminals 1 and 2 for resistance, then do the same for terminals 3 and 4. Each set should measure 40 to 80 ohms.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can check for vacuum leaks with the unlit propane torch method. Also, if you want to test the IAC valve, take an ohm meter and test the sensor for resistance. First, unplug the sensor. There are 4 terminals in the IAC connectior, set up like this: [ 1 2 3 4 ]. Test terminals 1 and 2 for resistance, then do the same for terminals 3 and 4. Each set should measure 40 to 80 ohms.
Thanks! I will give it a shot over the holidays

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
throttle position sensor??

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
throttle position sensor??

I believe thats what the culprit is, but I am telling my wife something different so I can pull the intake and get it powder coated---my Christmas present to myself.

Don't worry about me lying to my wife she knows that I am telling a fib

·
Registered
731 Posts
mines does same thing but revs at lil higher .bout 2500 and wont idle down sometimes. Need help
Any codes? It sounds like a bad IAC. Did you perform the test on the IAC listed above?

You can also check the IAC and it's port to see if it's dirty/gummed up and sticking.

If it looks nasty in the IAC port on the TB, spray it out with some carb cleaner, you can do this on the car if you be careful to not get any on the opti (the IAC port is above the opti elec. connector).

Also don't forget to spray the IAC pintle off as well.
(don't touch the pintle, and don't get any carb cleaner on the o-ring that seals it to the TB!)

The safest bet is to pull the TB to do this, but if you haven't done the TB coolant bypass, pulling the TB could possibly be as risky to the opti w/ that coolant line as spraying carb cleaner right above it and catching the excess with a bunch of dry rags. Whichever you do, GUARD THE OPTI!cwm6

1 - 8 of 8 Posts