Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ive been chasing a righ rpm belt squeal for a while now. it does it at high rpm. For example if i floor it and let go of the throttle right before it shifts it will do it. if i do a burn out as soon as i let go of the throttle it will do it.....if i jus mash the throttle to spin the tires it will do it. (im guessing it does it when the trans up shifts and the engine rpm suddenly changes) ive already replaced the belt and tensioner. checked all the pulleys and they seem to be ok as far as alighnment and drag. im about out of ideas. no leaks so oil or coolant arent't getting on the belt. any ideas?????
95 9c1

·
Registered
890 Posts
cranky pulley starting to separate maybe? easy to check, just draw a line across the face of it (across the rubber ring), take it for a drive, and recheck the line. when my pulley's rubber ring started deteriorating i *think* i remember it making squealing sounds similar to a slipping belt.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry. i forgot to mention i have already tried that. the balancer has not walked any at all.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Have you tried replacing the tensioner assembly? Over time the bearing in it wears out and will cause squeaking. Pretty inexpensive and just 2 bolts to unbolt it from the accessory bracket. - Peter

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes already replaced belt and tensioner,

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Check your accy bracket down where the a/c compressor bolts to it. Mine is cracked there from the shop that replaced the compressor failing to put the nut back onto the engine-mounted stud that supports the rear of the compressor. I have the same belt squealing problem but I didn't until after the compressor was replaced. We found the crack in the accy bracket but thought that the a/c compressor would keep it from flexing....nope.

Jim

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
make sure both alternator support braces are installed and tight.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I knew I had a pic somewhere.....

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks mr pogo. i think you got me on the right track. I had a cracked passenger side exhaust manifold and when i replaced it i broke off one of the studs for the altenator suport bracket.....never thought that could be it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts