Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, back when I purchased my wagon, it came with a set of Eagle alloy wheels (standard 5-spokes) with Hankook whitewall tires. Thankfully the PO had the receipts from the purchase.

The whole way home I had a highway vibration. I took it over to Discount Tire, and they rebalanced. The vibration is less, but it is still there. Basically they are only doing a static balance, and not putting wheel weights on the lip.

One thing I noticed was the wheels don't have hubcentric rings to fit the hub on the Roadmaster. Is this really required to keep them from having a highway vibration?

·
Premium Member
20,400 Posts
.....The whole way home I had a highway vibration. I took it over to Discount Tire, and they rebalanced. The vibration is less, but it is still there.....One thing I noticed was the wheels don't have hubcentric rings to fit the hub on the Roadmaster. Is this really required to keep them from having a highway vibration?
Hub rings do help. But......
Often is the case that the wheels are not installed correctly.....even at a tire shop they can get sloppy with the install.

We all know that you tighten the lugs in a 'star pattern'. But if you tighten each lug with full torque before you go to the next lug, you will STILL have a wheel that's not as 'centered' on the lugs as they could be.

I typically install my wheels by jacking the car until the wheel/tire has about 1 1/2" (or so) clearance from the ground. I use a brick and a crowbar to slightly raise the wheel until the lug bolts are centered in the holes.....and then I install the lug nuts in a star pattern, hand torqueing them down. I go through the pattern twice.

At that point, I then wrench them down.

Now.....if you eliminate the alignment and the install as possible issues causing the vibration, another place to check is your front suspension hardware. Bent tie rods and a typical culprit, but any damage to a front suspension part can cause the vibration you're feeling.

If the suspension checks good.....then you probably have a tire issue.....

KW

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Just because a company sells tires and wheels does not make them intelligent. Discount usually has the bottom rung of the employees.

You may have to take matters into your own hands. I use Startpage instead of Google, because they do not save your IP, so you do not get the ads. Search for the part, and see what you find. You probably have to measure your hub and wheel center. Look at JEGS, or Summit if all else fails. they can not be terribly expensive (although I have been surprised on a number of occasions with prices on obscure items). Check with your local speed shop as well.

The worst case scenario is that you could have a machine shop make a set for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.