Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hints for improving roadmaster fuel economy

I have a 93 roadmaster wagon, and I'd like to do whatever I can to get the best fuel economy possible.
aside from the basics : keeping everything in proper working order, correct tire pressure, fresh plugs, wires, air cleaner, driving style....
what specifics to the L05 and the roadmaster could be done to gain a few mpg?
I know its doubtful, but if there's any way to gain a few mpg AND a few horses as well, I'm all ears.
Or, if theres any way to gain some HP and keep the MPG where it is, I'd love to hear that as well

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
What kind of mileage are you getting now? Not sure what the TBI cars usually average, but I can't imagine doing much better than 15-16MPG city 20-21 hwy. There really is no magic thing you can do to gain significant mpg increase. These are big heavy V8 cars, so you won't do much better than low 20s tops on the highway.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what my mileage is yet, I just got the car and drove it 40 miles to get home.
Seems like for the power/mpg deal, maybe I should put an LT1 in it :p
by the way, awesome avatar . now I've got to go find that movie, I haven't seen it in forever.

·
Registered
238 Posts
When I want better mileage from my Roady, I ride my bike to work!:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Mine is completely stock. So, I do not know what to tell you about improving gas mileage. I CAN tell you, with other cars, none of the gas mileage improvement products ever worked. Your first post pretty much addressed what you can do to improve gas mileage.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
I don't suppose it would do any good to suggest a "forum search" of mileage threads. You'll see they cover the same ground over,and over,and over again.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
If your worried about fuel economy with your Roadmaster, the best thing you could do is buy a For Sale sign. They are, what they are!

Tom C.

·
Registered
524 Posts
i would guess the rear gears would have a good effect but i dont know which size would give the best gas milage. maybe under drive pulleys a k&n filter maybe free flowing exhaust. i would think any mods that elimenate restrictions in the exhaust and intake would help. i always heard tbi cars got better gas milage than lt1s, but lt1s made up for that in smiles

1 - 14 of 14 Posts