Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 94 FWB seems to be pretty well sorted now. The owner and I are both interested in fitting a trailer hitch to the car for additional rear collision protection and for occasionally pulling a lawn equipment/motorcycle trailer (couple times a year) or very rarely a small race car on a lightweight car trailer. What are the current options for a hitch and associated wiring on these cars? Googling for hitches doesn’t seem to be bringing up a lot of options and the results seem to be confused a bit.

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
I have used etrailer.com several times for hitches, wiring, etc. Just enter your vehicle 411

not for my SS but I would think there are several for B-body applications

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used etrailer.com several times for hitches, wiring, etc. Just enter your vehicle 411

not for my SS but I would think there are several for B-body applications

I usually go there first as well, but they show no hitches for the last D-body.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Are you sure they aren't same fitment as b-body? I thought mine was normal Caprice. The class II Hidden Hitch bolted right up to my old '95, but sloppier frame welds required grinding to fit on my new '96. And it had the drawbar welded UNDER the crosstube to be truly 'hidden' with a cute little trapazoid plastic covering the tip.

There's an old thread recounting brand consolidations maybe 15 years ago. There's been model no. changes to where I type in mine and get a completely different looking shape.

Class II and III tongue and bearing wts. seem real close so I've never felt risk with mine. I sure wouldn't haul a tandem carfloat with my car even with a Class III but 3,000# of dirt or blocks has not been a problem.

Also - there used to be a guy here lasercutting pieces and shipping loose kits for our car. Worth searching. maybe.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Well there is always "custom" if you have a Hitch company locally. Eckhart is one IIRC

Draw-Tite makes one for a Deville

Draw-Tite
I would not guess much connection between the wrong wheel drive ?E-body? and our cars. ?K-body? What WAS that car anyway?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would not guess much connection between the wrong wheel drive ?E-body? and our cars. ?K-body? What WAS that car anyway?

Awful. And only really suitable as a donor car for other projects. :p

The 85-96 RWD Fleetwood/Broughams are all D-bodies, the ‘looks like a 92-96 Fleetwood’ 94-99 Fail-wheel-drive Devilles are K-bodies.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Got mine shipped from UHaul 4-5 years ago. Receiver PN 65700. As you can see from the specs it fits a lot of cars. It went in with no real problems, without a hitch... Onr minor glitch--had to Dremel a little bit off of an excess flange corner on each side of the unit to allow one bolt on each side to clear, if I remember correctly. If it's a problem, you'll see it and know what to do. Here are the directions, listing the applications. The drawing is accurate. The receiver fit well and is not very visible. I leave a hitch and ball installed so parking lot experts can hit it instead of my bumper.

Just because the PN doesn't show up on online catalogs doesn't mean it isn't available. I don't know exactly who made it, but talk to UHaul and they can get it from their supplier. (Heck, I once asked UHaul to call and have someone look up in a paper catalog a hitch for a '69 Fleetwood 75, a car which had a grand production total of about 2000 that year. They still had the specs to special order it with a couple week delay.)

Wiring is not a problem. I don't have the PN anymore for that, but there's a plug kit that splices into the existing connector up near the driver's side trunk hinge, I think. You might have to swap a wire or two--sorry, I don't remember. It was from one of the hitch companies.
Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Awful. And only really suitable as a donor car for other projects. :p

The 85-96 RWD Fleetwood/Broughams are all D-bodies, the ‘looks like a 92-96 Fleetwood’ 94-99 Fail-wheel-drive Devilles are K-bodies.
Thanks for clearing that up. I was through the Hamtramkt plant like Spock going, "Fascinating. Who in the hell thinks that is an improvement on a Fleetwood?"

Anyway, that old thread I referred to above came up quick. Hope it helps:

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/36-fleetwood/1210889-backup-post-trailer-hitch.html

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I've found some 3500lb rated hitches through the suggestions above - however, weren't the FWB's rated at 5000lbs normally and 7000 with the tow pack?

·
Registered
90 Posts
My SS came with one. Don’t know rating, manufacture or if I even still have it (Pretty sure I do though). PM me if interested and I’ll start digging through what my wife refers to as Chevy Mountain.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts