Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read alot of the HO bar leading to a oversteer condition. I was planning on getting one for my 87' caprice but now I'm reluctant. Also I just got a front f-body bar and going to install "stiff" Bilstiens. What is the next best rear bar for the b-body. I would appreciate it if some of the members with 87-90 b-bodies would post with their setups. TIA

p.s I hope you guys don't mind me posting a few questions about my 87', I know this is a 94-96 Imp/Caprice forum. Come on it's not like it's a SHO or anything. j/k

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know the Hellwig front bar is supposed to be a little "safer" with the HO rear bar. I am not sure how it will match your car though, remember the round bodies even though they share suspension are heavier.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had the F-body front/HA rear bar combination on my '96 SS for over 5 years and it is about as neutral handling as anything I've ever driven. When Scott Mueller suggested this combination years ago he did state that it may be slightly biased to oversteer at the extreme limit of handling. If my experience is any indication Scott may have overstated the situation slightly. I've never been in a situation where bar induced oversteer was a problem. Throttle induced oversteer is another situation altogether. :D

FWIW, SStewart

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It depends (a lot) on what springs you are running, but I'd suggest trying the HO rear with the HO front first. Especially if you still have stock springs.

Also, be sure you upgrade your rear lower control arms to some aftermarket ones (the SS aftermarket ones bolt right in on your car if they are "stock" length) BEFORE you put on the big swaybar.

In my opinion, the F-body front with HO rear (on stock springs) IS too oversteer biased.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey ed,

what springs do you recomend?

for the f-body/ho bars, i would like to stay very close to stock impala height. maybe a little lower. but just a little!

thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try the HO front with HO/HA rear bar. It will still understeer enough to make the car feel very secure. Do get better rear LCA's first, I did not and cracked the stockers in less than 10K miles. IMHO Scott's comments about oversteer with the F body/HA bars are correct. My car (see sig) with its present set up will oversteer when pushed hard.

Allen

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice fellas! As of now i do have the stock springs in, but hope to find some used Impy springs. Ed, do I have to get aftermarket LCA's or can I use the stock 94-96 ones? Any suggestions on anything other than a HO bar. Thanks again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definatly go with the HO/HA front and rear. I am glad I did. Understeer instead of oversteer. I can corect my understeer with a little blip of the throtle. :D

Mav

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.