Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been checking out upgrades ,and I'm thinking about getting Hotchkis bars all around,they sell a front and it's hollow,what are the benifits ,besides being lighter?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Basically, a hollow swaybar can be made to be stiffer AND lighter than a smaller solid bar. That is the case with the Hotchkis front bar : it is about 80-90% stiffer than the stock SS (30mm solid) front bar yet LIGHTER than the stock bar!

Downside is that the outer diameter of the "80-90% stiffer" hollow bar will be greater than the outer diameter of an 80-90% stiffer SOLID bar.

Be aware that the wagon rear bar (which was never offered from GM) would need to be wider than a sedan rear bar. To the best of my knowledge, Hotchkis and Addco are the only 2 companies that make a wagon rear bar and the Hotchkis one is stiffer. The front bars are identical on both sedan and wagon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I belive that Upgraded LCAs are recomended when you install a rear bar on a wagon.

Plus Boxed LCAs and UCAs take some flex out of the rear further enhancing handling.

PS. Are there any problems with the outer diameter being larger with the hollow bar?

How much lighter and more in money is the Hollow bar?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.