Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '94, the hood and trunk light are not working.

Bulbs are good, fuse on driver side of dash is good and has power. Good ground at both lights. Mercury switches are good. Just no battery power.

I have an extra light for each to do the dual light mods so I've swapped things around and tested with battery power.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
There are LED bulbs to fit both places, and they will lower the total amp draw. The LEDs make 6X the light for the same current draw.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
The black wire in the trunk has been pinched by the hinge. It's hard to see. We have all been through it and there are other threads about it. Look at it carefully and you with find the break, use a flashlight. The hood light is not on the same circuit, do a search and there are discussions about it. I forget what the other function is with the hood light.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, led's with dual lights is what I have ready to install as soon as I have power.

I'll check out the trunk, I have a few panels covering that area.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Isn't the air pump on the same circuit as the underhood light? Been a long time since I thought about this.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the trunk light was a broken wire and is working now.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the 20a fuse for the secondary air pump in the fuse box under the hood was blown. As soon as I put a new one in, the light came on.

So now I'm running those festoon bulbs in the door courtesy lights, dome light, and under the hood. For the one under the hood, I wish it could point out instead of to the side but glad it's working again.

All I need now is led's for the rearview mirror map lights and the small Amber ones for the front side marker lights.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Why does the engine compartment light bulb point to the side? Pics would help.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Perhaps he means the mounting location - at the pass corner (side), not centered ? Yes/No?

On a previous GM car with a similar location, I mounted a second light on the other side. It worked so well, I added a third in the front middle. Then I added a switch so I could turn them 0n/off since I had the hood open so much. That was with bulbs. With LEDs it would look and work even better. Maybe I will do it again.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
I have used the under hood light from a Cutlass Supreme. It has an extension cord to allow you to move the light to where you need it. There is a similar one on a truck that does not have the mercury switch, and can be mounted on the wheelhouse.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The light is in the factory location on the passenger side of the hood but I have the flat led "festoon" bulb so when the wires on the bulb are hooked on the copper connections, it faces either left or right rather than forward. With the incandescent stock bulb it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Can you put two of them in the space? One facing each way. A piece of mirror, or sheet of polished stainless could act as a mirror, inside the housing and would direct the light in the proper direction. I am glad you mentioned this. I am planning to put an LED in my light, and would have encountered the same situation.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
The light is in the factory location on the passenger side of the hood but I have the flat led "festoon" bulb so when the wires on the bulb are hooked on the copper connections, it faces either left or right rather than forward. With the incandescent stock bulb it doesn't matter.

Think MacGyver!

Either a paper clip mod or notching/filing the copper contacts for proper orientation would be simple fixes.

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
I looked at the contacts, and there is not enough material on the contacts to modify them, The ends of the bulb can not be bent to obtain a 90 deg. rotation without ruining the bulb. The only way to make it work would be to make new ends for the bulb, and solder them in place of the original ones.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
on the hood and trunk lites ... I 21 years ago disabled these.. reason was back then many reported the switches would on occasion , keep these lights on and then kill battery...

on my 2016 vehicle I did replace the 194 lamps with LED..all..
so far they have held up good and lots more light.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I looked at the contacts, and there is not enough material on the contacts to modify them, The ends of the bulb can not be bent to obtain a 90 deg. rotation without ruining the bulb. The only way to make it work would be to make new ends for the bulb, and solder them in place of the original ones.
Wow! Serious lack of innovative skills here.

OEM GM underhood light have plenty of contact material for mod. Use a coping saw, hand use of fine tooth short Sawsall blade, fine tooth partial hacksaw blade, file, etc. Notch contact to reorient bulb 90 degrees. There are also specialty items like craft saws for model railroading, etc.

Be imaginative!

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
Have you looked at the connections? It would be far more feasible to modify the festoon LED bulb.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts