Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my wife started driving her 2014 Impala instead of her 1996 Caprice, she says that the horn in her 2014 Impala sounds too silly and misses the throaty HONK of the Caprice. Is there a way to put a Caprice horn in the Impala?

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
I'm reasonably assured all American cars work off 12v neg. grd., so splice in whatever floats your (her) boat. Melted wires or relays will point to 'upgraded' related parts needed for the mod.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Horns really don't care how they're wired. If the newer car has a wire that's obviously going to ground, re-use that to ground the older style horn. If both wires disappear into a harness and it's not clear which is ground or which is switched, don't sweat it. Connect either wire to either connection on the old horn, just be sure not to connect either of them directly to ground and be sure they can't short to ground, and it'll work.

I just recently put a pair of new, loud universal horns in my cousin's minivan (the original horns were badly exposed to the elements and rusted to the point they wouldn't sound, the result of someone cutting a large hole in the plastic fender liner to access something rather than spending the 15 minutes to just remove the fender liner) and even in the instructions for the new horns it basically said connect either terminal to either wire from the original horns. They worked fine.

I then proceeded to repair the massive fender liner hole with a large piece of a broken garbage can lid that I cut to fit, and zip tied into place. Not even kidding. If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid. Because roadkill. I have the pictures to prove it if you don't believe me. :grin2:

I wouldn't recommend those universal horns for what you want though, they sound a little too ricey and not like the honk you're looking for. They were perfect for my cousin's honda though. If you want the ultimate honk, look for the optional 4-horn setup from literally any Cadillac from at least the 70s through at least the 90s. They're the same horns as what's in your Caprice, just more of them, all tuned to different notes. Various years and models have different mounting brackets, but anyone who's handy with cars and tools can make it happen.

·
Registered
491 Posts
No, wait, I just caught myself. If both wires disappear into a harness, use a multimeter to determine which one is the +12v. If you were to connect that to the old horn ground (which is grounded through the body of the horn) and then mount the horn solidly to metal, it would short when activated. Other than that you should be fine. It still doesn't matter which is switched, just don't make the body of the horn hot.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
No, wait, I just caught myself. If both wires disappear into a harness, use a multimeter to determine which one is the +12v. If you were to connect that to the old horn ground (which is grounded through the body of the horn) and then mount the horn solidly to metal, it would short when activated. Other than that you should be fine. It still doesn't matter which is switched, just don't make the body of the horn hot.
I was about to say. I'm glad you caught your previous Mis Q.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
8,203 Posts

·
Registered
11,217 Posts
I have a couple of pairs of the right side horns from a Caddy, or RMS. Any other B body has the other two on the left. The notes are different for all 4 horns. With the second set of horns you get twice the volume as well as 4 notes. The horns bolt to the metal body for ground, and have one green wire that goes to the switched/relay of the horn button. It has been suggested that a somewhat larger wire than stock because of the current draw. I installed a set on my 91 OCC, and have not had any issues with the stock size wire running to the right side of the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts