Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im finally getting a start on my 96 DGGM and trying to find out sum info. I have to take the car for emissions so i need it to be able to pass a OBDII scan. It does not have to pass a sniffer test.First off i not trying to go and have 11 sec B-Body just a good strong weekend car. I will probably go with a 383. So far i have acquired a set of complete LT-4 heads with rollers and a set of clear image budget headers. Im trying to find out will those headers match up to the factorys cat set up? How big of a cam can you go and still be able to keep all the light off in the dash. I dont plan on running the cats all the time just when needed for the test. I will prob run 3.73s in the car. I want the car to run good and be able to in and take a 500 mile trip with no issues. All info is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
My understanding is with a good tuner, anything will pass a plug-in only test. Just tune out certain CELs like rear O2s or any other emissions you might remove.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input I'm suprised so lil response. Nobodys made good power and still pass emission. I'm just trying to get sum ideas on what I need to do

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
........First off i not trying to go and have 11 sec B-Body just a good strong weekend car. I will probably go with a 383.........How big of a cam can you go and still be able to keep all the light off in the dash.........
Well......you can go with a damn big cam and "keep all the light off in the dash".....but you might not pass emissions.

Noel (aka "Get Bearings") used a a high lift version of the Comp Cams 503. It was 224/230 duration with lift over .600" (w/1.6 rockers). The LSA was 114* with 4* advance.

It got his 383ci into the mid-12's.......I got the same cam for my SS and hit mid-12's also.

IIRC, Noel passed California emissions.....I later put the cam in my 9C1 and with stock LT4 heads and a mail order tune, passed the sniffer in Georgia.

The cam's lobe numbers were #3192 on the intake and #3194 on the exhaust.

http://www.compcams.com/catalog/230.html

FWIW ;) .

KW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts