Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Good stuff, I have this article from peterson publishing and draw from it when I lecture on dyno's and engine building. Kudo's to James Watt and Nickolas Otto.

I use the LT1 as a reference in most of my examples. The import kids aren't impressed by any means. It doesn't seem to matter that their civic engine doesn't produce enough torque to tighten the lugs on our G.M.'s, but the horsepower per liter is what seems to matter.

Youth and optimism vs. old age and treachery.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have now, thanks.

The dudes 442 reminded me of a car I saw at the track last year. I walked up to look at an old Buick Skylark, Stage 1 I think. The hood was up and there was an older man tinkering underneath. This car was as stock as a rock. It had the points distributor, Q-jet, manifolds, and quiet mufflers. However, it must of had a hell of a gear and or a stall. It left the line quietly, but with a lot of authority. It ran like an 11.7. Old school, hell yes.

Another thing that promotes my popularity is to ask an import kid if they'd like to know an easy way to get their civic in the 13's? If they take the bait, I tell them to put it into the trunk of my fleetwood.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are right Randy it is an excellent webpage!!

I think it is an open secret in the Vette community that the LT1 pretty much destroyed the LT5 option as much as it obliderated the L98 from the Vette owners lexicon. "Almost" as much HP and more usable TQ without all that Quad Cam and four valve per cylinder "jewelry"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Dynoman:
However, it must of had a hell of a gear and or a stall. It left the line quietly, but with a lot of authority. It ran like an 11.7. Old school, hell yes.
Can gears, a converter and sticky tires bring a car (that would otherwise run, what, high 13s?) to an 11.7? I wouldn't think so. What was the trap speed? 100? :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Kevin Moore:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dynoman:
However, it must of had a hell of a gear and or a stall. It left the line quietly, but with a lot of authority. It ran like an 11.7. Old school, hell yes.
Can gears, a converter and sticky tires bring a car (that would otherwise run, what, high 13s?) to an 11.7? I wouldn't think so. What was the trap speed? 100? :D </font>[/QUOTE]well it might have been stock appearing,..
500cid, sneaky electronic ignition,.extrude honed manifolds, painted aluminum heads, full roller valvetrain, q-jet tweaked, big converter,sneakt weight diet,(3600lbs?)
650ft lbs torque etc,.those big old buicks and olds' have come along way,. ;) check out the "factory stock appearing" drags,
Kinda like these "stock cammed and heads' cars running low 12's ;)
nick

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by PHANTOM 309:
Kinda like these "stock cammed and heads' cars running low 12's ;)
nick
Ahem, .... Do I detect a dig here, "nick"?
Or shall I call you Simon Peter, ye of little faith? :D
It's gonna get harder and harder for the weak in spirit to swallow it, but the bolt-on cars are not done yet ;)
If you think we're hiding something, come out and race with us, bring your mirrors, borescopes, and your keen eyes and ears, and tell us what you find. :rolleyes:

What's all this crap anyway about needing a cam and ported heads to run these little 1/4 mile sprints. Land speed racing I could understand, but come on, man

Pat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.