Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are there any good hose clamps out there? Put some brand new ones on from Autozone and they keep backing off. Total garbage anymore. I talked to a mechanic recently and he they sometimes double up on the clamps because of this problem.

I'm talking about radiator hose clamps.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have not been making/maintaining hoses for the last five years but before that I made hundreds with Tridon hose clamps without having that problem. Most were hot water or air at 50-100psi but most were not subjected to extreme vibration. The better choice is the "lined" stainless steel clamps. A lined hc is the only choice for silicone hoses as the slots damage the hose.

For radiator hoses I have been replacing hose clamps with factory spring clamps as they are much wider. This is what they are trying to copy when:
they sometimes double up on the clamps because of this problem.
If the spring clam is undamaged it seems to hold without leaks or adjustment. They have been trouble free on my truck for over 25 years and 22+ on some daily drivers.(Tougher than the radiator)

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Agree with Z09. Factory spring clamps are the best because they apply equal pressure
all the way around the hose whereas a screw clamp applies most pressure on the screw side
of the clamp. Screw type clamps also tend to dig into and tear up the hose.

Nab

·
Registered
976 Posts
Agree with Z09. Factory spring clamps are the best because they apply equal pressure
all the way around the hose whereas a screw clamp applies most pressure on the screw side
of the clamp. Screw type clamps also tend to dig into and tear up the hose.

Nab
Agreed! worm gear clamps suck and even worse nowadays with all cheapnese ones that are really bad.
When I replaced all the hoses on mine after buying it I put spring clamps back on every connection. Had to hit the boneyard for some donors but not a single leak.
Have even removed/reinstalled a few for opti work and still no leaks/problems.

I never use the worm clamps on anything unless in a pinch.

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
I'm going to try what Fix has shown here.^^^^^^^^^ The Gates clamps. There have been past posts about them and they seem to be a good deal. They just have a cleaner look about them too.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Can't say I've heard of worm gear clamps loosening up on their own before but there are some cheap clamps out there. When going with Green hoses, I spent some money on quality Stainless Lined Clamps I got from MSC catalog. Little pricey compared to the parts store crap but never an issue with them. You can tighten worm gear type clamps too much which can cause the clamp to come apart and they don't clamp good after that.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies! These are just standard hoses not the green hoses. Going to check the boneyards this weekend and if nothing, going to buy the ss t-clamps.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
spring type clamps

When I first started working on cars I hated spring clamps, now I'm liking them, and was thinking about getting an assortment box from Amazon. Anyone have any experience with any particular brand? And am trying to figure out sizing, like, what size works best for 5/8 heater hose?

VM

·
Registered
485 Posts
It's been my experience for awhile that auto part store clamps are cheap chinesium junk, even if they're stainless only the band is and the screw mechanism is not and will still rust. If you want good stainless worm gear clamps, just hit your local hardware store (lowes, menards, etc.) and meander on back to the plumbing section, you should have no problem finding any size you could want in 100% stainless and they come in convenient bags of 10 or 20 or something like that. I keep a medium plastic tote full of them on hand so I never have to run and get one if I need it. So far I've had zero issues with them.

If you want to stick with the spring clamps, get a decent pair of spring clamp pliers, they're worth their weight in gold. There are two versions, I recommend the extended cable version, you can get that into darn near any place they stuck them and release them with ease. I found a pair that are made in France, so hooray for not being chinesium junk. On a side note, anyone know if those gates compression things are single use or can they be reused? I've seen them before but I thought they were single use only and for as often as I'm taking stuff apart to fix other things, I'd probably go through a ton of them.

https://www.amazon.com/Mayhew-28655-Clamp-Plier-2-Piece/dp/B0002UNPHI

This is this frenchie set that I bought, but I've literally never used the standard pliers looking one. Even if the clamp is easily accessible, inevitably it'll be clocked such that you can't get on them with that one anyways. The cable one works beautifully every time, so if that's available by itself I'd recommend it. I think it was also branded and sold under the Craftsman name at one time, because I came across some on ebay that were craftsman, looked identical and said made in France.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Gates thermal clamps are strictly one time use. Great for connecting short lengths via sleeves (super low profile),and/or in areas where traditional clamps would be difficult to utilize.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Thank you! Yes, the spring clamps can be a pain but I have become pretty good at dealing with them with channel lock pliers. I like your advice about the plumbing department for decent hose clamps. I bought some at O'Reillys, we'll see if they are worth a sh*t.

I love having the right tool and the right miscellaneous parts, but it seems as soon as I lay in a supply, then I don't need the tool or the clamp...

VM

·
Registered
485 Posts
I bought some at O'Reillys, we'll see if they are worth a sh*t.

No, no they are not, at least if you bought them off the shelf out front. Not sure if they keep better stuff in the back (they do keep better stuff in the back for a lot of things, hose, split conduit, etc.) but no clue about clamps. Don't get me wrong, I love O'Reilly's and I have a few friends that work at one that I hang out with on occasion and they take care of me and hook me up with good stuff and good discounts. And while their house brands are no better than Advance, Auto Zone or even Napa these days, they have a special order system that's second to none. You can get a surprisingly wide array of good stuff from O'Reilly's if you don't mind paying a little more and waiting for it to come in. Granted you can almost always get a better deal on amazon or wherever, but sometimes I just don't feel like ordering online or for whatever reason I'd rather pay cash that day.

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Thank you!

Thanks so much for all the great info. I have pretty much switched to O'reillys also, after I kept getting wrong or bad parts from NAPA, where I had an account and a good relationship with the people. The whole parts thing is so tough these days. i was very lucky when I did my Subaru timing belt, cam seals, etc., that the kit I got from Rock Auto was all Japanese parts. Shocking. Absolutely shocking. I felt real good about installing them. But other times I see absolutely wrong parts on Rock Auto, so one definitely has to be informed ahead of time.

I'm going to monkey around with these hose clamps before I trust them, and then hubby MIGHT just have some good ones lurking in the shop, if I go snooping.

Cheers!

Veronica

·
Registered
485 Posts
The funny thing is I used to use rock auto all the time to see what was available and as a reference guide for getting part numbers for whatever I needed and then I could search my regular places for the best price. And I also used to order a ton of stuff from rock auto (I have the magnets covering my fridge and tool boxes to prove it) but at some point they seemed to go downhill quite a bit and they really didn't seem to care. I had problems with them on my last order a few years ago and they were zero help in trying to fix it, and I've read reports from a number of people on here and other forums who've had problems with them in recent years. They also cheat you on the shipping charges something fierce, I've wasted enough time just playing around with the shopping cart trying to get everything to ship from warehouse "A" to prove that. I still use their website from time to time as a starting point for brands and part numbers, but I won't order from them anymore.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
I have used RA dozens of times for various cars I have if I don't need the part right away as their $ is always lower but their economy shipping usually takes a week or so.

I did find returning to be a huge PIA and a whole online inquisition of a return form that auto spits out the "you pay return shipping" for a un installed part that was simply wrong (did not fit) my 67 Camaro. Their reasoning was it is listed for my vehicle so it must be correct....it simply was not.

RA is certainly not Amazon when it comes to returns....nor Summit which IMHO is excellent and for slightly more $ on some parts, free shipping and anything from their Sparks warehouse gets here the next day ground.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
the parts nightmare

Well, ordering parts online is always a challenge, especially when you see what is obviously a WRONG part listed for your application (this was on RA). They are cheaper, but I do try to use my local parts people when possible, just to help keep them in business.

I was at a marine store yesterday and bought a splendid, if very expensive, hose clamp, which I will swap out for the crappy one I'm using now, on my heater hose. So, that's another option if you're prepared for spending the big bucks. But again, a hose clamp failure is nothing to "sneeze at".

V

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Oh dear. I have a "stupid phone" , so no, I can't give you a picture right now. But it's a heavy clamp, probably stainless, with raised, smooth edges, etc. I have the misfortune of not only owning old vehicles that only I work on, but a 27 foot sailboat, which is even more of a maintenance nightmare than a car, don't you know. I got my clamp at a West Marine, BUT there are some very good marine supply stores on line with good prices. I'm surprised I didn't think of this before, because one's life absolutely can depend on hose clamps in marine applications. Most people actually double clamp their hoses on boats...

IF y'all really need a picture i will dig out my digital camera and take one...

VM

1 - 20 of 28 Posts