Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what cam I can swap out for the weak stocker. It's a daily driver, so it has to be smooth running with max power.. LT4 cam? or 845? what are the specs for the 845 cam? it's a gm grind right? or how about the lt4 "hot cam"? thanks the specs on the stock cam are embarrasing.. i gotta get that thing out of there! they run the same cam in the 265 motor! :eek: also, can i buy LT4 heads? if so where? thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Depends what else you're willing to do to the car...if you want to run the HOT cam you'll need to upgrade the gears, torque converter, roller rockers, valve springs... and better flowing heads would be a good plan.

You mention the LT4 heads (and you'd need the matching LT4 intake). You can get a complete LT4 conversion kit (including intake, heads, HOT cam, springs, rockers, etc...) for about $2200ish... but then you still need to do gears and converter (at least 3.42s with a 2400 converter, 3.73s with a 2800-3200 would be better).

If you wanted to stay pretty much bone stock the ZZ3 cam from GM will give you a nice 20-25HP boost and the only other part you'll need is valve springs (the stockers suck).

The GMPP 845 cam is a nice compromise between the two... it's very streetable, it'll be fine with stock heads... roller rockers are a nice 10-20hp gain but not required... I'd still change the gears and converter but again you can live with milder stuff. Here's a bunch of cam data:
Cam Data

Including the 845 and the HOT cams... (214/224 - .521/[email protected]/1.5mixed and 218/226 - .525/[email protected] respectively)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the great info... I use the car for a lot of highway driving and really like my stock 3.08 gears.. doing a converter is a little overkill for me as well for a daily driver.... so the 845 cam is a good idea, and i'll just stick with the stock heads to keep cost down....

Tell me if this sounds like a plan.. 845 cam, 1.6:1 roller rockers, and new valve springs, (which kind?) that's it right? how much increase could i expect out of that? and why would you mix the roller rockers, 1.5 and 1.6? why not all 1.6 for more lift?

ANd dose anyone know of a method of changing valvesprings without removing the heads? I;ve heard of some compressed air through the spark plug holes.. ??? any thoughts? thanks ,john

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
check the combination motorsports G.P. for springs(also rockers) to fit stock iron heads. it seems that if you have the plug/air readily availible it the easiest way. rock on, rus

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'd have to run 1.5 rockers on the exhaust with the 845, as the lift gets up around .543 with the 1.6's, which is too high for stock heads. Dal sells a 1.5/1.6 roller rocker kit for the same price as the regular 1.6's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.