Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Hotchkis Lowering Springs

26K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  helpthe95 
#1 ·
I have the springs and i was looking to drop the front about 1.5 inches or 2 inches, BUT i've been hearing cutting the springs actually shortens it's life span - any truth to this?

Also can anyone post a pic of their SS lowered to the 1.25 inches Front and 1 inch Back? I'm trying to see if the 1.25/1 ratio is good enough for me. Trying to get that aggressive stance ya feel me!

Thanks ahead of time y'all.

#2 ·
I'm running Hotchkis springs. They are at least 5 years if not older as shown in these picture taken yesterday so it isn't totally representative of the stance you will get from a fresh set. About a month after the install to me they stance looked good but maybe was a touch high for my liking, but after about 9 months to a year it had settled right to where I thought it looked perfect, more along the lines of what you see in the picture. I think the picture in my signature is right in the 1 year range. The stance does have a mild front rake...just enough to percieve it but not so much as to think you are trying to hard to have one.

Shamelessly taking advantage of another opportunity to repost this picture:

I think the lowest non-cut spring stance I've seen comes from wither ST or Sprint, but whichever one it is too me almost looks like it has a slight reverse rake with the tail a little lower than the front.

#5 ·
Do you have a sub box/fullsize spare in trunk? Just wondering because my hotchkis spring have noticeably more rake...but I have no junk in the trunk :)

#3 ·
Here are a few of mine.

#8 ·
Got a question for you experts out there... The main reason behind the new Shocks/Springs is of course a performance upgrade... When i bought the SS it came with Eibach Springs, and i've never been a fan of Eibach's... Long story cut short, the SS's always had a slight lean to the left in the rear end.

After installing the Hotchkis Springs it's not as noticeable but the lean is still there, what's the problem here?

I'll take some pictures when i get home from work later and post it up so you guys can see what i'm referring to. Thanks ahead for the replies.

#9 ·
Did you make sure the springs are indexed properly (fronts, bottom pigtail between the two drain holes in the control arm; rears bottom pigtail facing towards driver's side)? Also, if you've replaced your control arms or bushings at any time, when you tightened them up, did you do it with weight on the suspension (which is the proper way to do it)? Those are the two things that come to mind.

#10 ·
The Hotchkis springs look good on your cars. I'm a Hotchkis product user already but haven't decided between these and the Eibach, or H&H's. I've got to get mine looking more like a car and not a damn 4x4!

-SS

#13 ·
I had Eibach springs on a previous car so I was first inclined to get those. But after being to a few Impala shows I really liked the stance of Hotchkis cars best. It also appeared to me that the stance from one Eibach Impala to another wasn't as consistent as with the Hotchkis cars.

#11 ·
Only thing I may not like about my Hotchkis Springs is the fact that the rear springs are so puny...I haven't tried loading anything in the trunk but they don't look like they'd handle much and I believe the Airlift bags are no longer available.

Can anyone confirm or deny that airbags are not available for Hotchkis?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.