Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
L03, 91 Caprice sedan.

I last did a cap and rotor change 10+ years ago on a car with very good access to the distributor, and never before on a B-body.

How expensive is it to have it done, and how hard is it to do myself?

The fact that the dist is half-way under the dashboard, and a long distance to reach, is my main (known) worry about trying to do it myself. Are there any other hazards, such as pieces that will fall apart before they come apart properly?

I'm thinking about doing it myself mostly to avoid dealing with the logistics of using a repairshop; I doubt I'd be putting what I learn to good use, or that it's worth my time in $$$ to do it myself in 100-degree weather.

Actually, I think I've just talked myself out of doing it, unless somebody tells me that (like VW maintenance) it's real easy to do myself yet often screwed up by mechanics.
Not so, is it?

·
Registered
540 Posts
I don't think any decent repair shop would take more than 20 minutes to do it, shouldn't cost the world if you do it along with an oil change or something.

It's not hard to diy either I think, it's a bit hard to reach since the Caprice rides fairly high compared to an Impala. I usually throw a blanket over the fender and rest my waist on there while having something to stand on. I'm only 5'10 though so not very tall.

The cap screws can be removed with a screwdriver but I recommend using a 1/4" drive socket and extensions instead, less chance of stripping it. Should be a 5.5mm or 7/32 socket size.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I don't think any decent repair shop would take more than 20 minutes to do it, shouldn't cost the world if you do it along with an oil change or something.

It's not hard to diy either I think, it's a bit hard to reach since the Caprice rides fairly high compared to an Impala. I usually throw a blanket over the fender and rest my waist on there while having something to stand on. I'm only 5'10 though so not very tall.

The cap screws can be removed with a screwdriver but I recommend using a 1/4" drive socket and extensions instead, less chance of stripping it. Should be a 5.5mm or 7/32 socket size.
What he says. Only way to do it. key is the right length extension/socket comb. Too tall and it won't fit the rear screw. Too short and it won't clear the wires. Just did mine couple of weeks ago. I use the 3" inch extension (Craftman) along with socket. I think the deep version. Along with a mini rachet

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, that's sounds quite encouraging, despite the weather. Thanks. So:

What about the rotor, is that a pull-off/push-on matter, without anything adjustable?

Also, are these parts simple enough to just get whatever Autozone has in stock?

IF I (also) were to make a start at replacing spark plugs, what's a good choice?

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I prefer ACDelco only for all ignition parts including Spark Plugs. That's just me.

Rotor just pulls right off. It is probably seized onto the Dizzy though. Happens with time. Will probably require a struggle to remove - but it's definately not attached with anything other than friction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts