Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have removed the cover, and the lock bolt from the diffrential shaft but now how do i removed the pinion gear shaft?

I am trying to replace a roaring bearing.

Also, do i replace the whole axle just cause the bearing is roaring. What do i look for.

When i took the cover off i realized there was only oil in the bottom 1/3 of the diffrential. Should I be really concern?

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
If you haven't gotten past that point yet.....once the lock bolt is removed, rotate the carrier 180 degrees and push on the shaft to move it "out" on the lock bolt side about 1/4" to 3/8", then rotate the carrier back 180 deg and grab the end of the shaft and remove it.

Beyond that, and from the sound of it, considering your own level of experience, this isn't a job for a novice, and you shouldn't tackle it without the right tools, references--and, ideally, with someone to guide you through the process.

The roaring bearing could be wheel bearing, carrier bearing or pinion bearing. The question is whether the noise has a "beat" that is faster than wheel rotation or basically matches wheel rotation. This will help determine where you should look.

Since the axle shafts will be coming out anyway, the first thing to do is inspect them for signs of obvious wear on the axle shaft journal surface that contacts each of the wheel bearings.

If the lube level was found to be low, that also means it probably leaked out somewhere, and IF a wheel bearing is bad, it is most likely that the gear lube leaked out on the same side as the bad bearing, so look for signs of external leakage--a quick diagnosis, or something to at least quickly rule out that as a source of the problem(s).

Certainly the low lube level can do harm by starving bearings.

Your terminology isn't clear--"do I replace the whole axle".....explain/clarify what you mean.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got it out just like you said. I do a lot of work but never a rear end. I will put it back tomorrow providing parts are avail. The axle looks good and there is no play between the bearing and the axle. I see you live in Canton, GA. You have a SS? We need to get together and compare notes on a few things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.