Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to pull it out to work on it but cannot figure out to remove it. I've pulled the trim piece over the stereo/ac controls, and all of the lower trim pieces under the steering wheel and dash. I do not see what my next step should be, or if I even needed to go as far as I did. I would started prying and pulling but I don't want to break anything.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Remove left hand sound insulator(black plastic under dash)...knee bolster deflector (colored piece under dash)... Tilt wheel release lever... Cluster trim plate (wood grain around gauges with black sides, just pulls out)...trans shift indicator cable... Bolts attaching cluster to instrument panel....then cluster. Be careful with the shift cable

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Listen to what RE LAC SN says. I do have a question though about the shift cable. I wasn't careful when removing cluster and somehow it popped in 2 :(

Of course now the indicator stays on P :mad:
Is this available separately? Sorry to hijack your thread

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Listen to what RE LAC SN says. I do have a question though about the shift cable. I wasn't careful when removing cluster and somehow it popped in 2 :(

I was able to rehab one with an indicator cable from a '90's Chevy truck. They're fairly universal.

·
Registered
10,920 Posts

I do not know if it is available separately, but you may be able to use one from a B-body cluster. They have a loop on the end, and hook over the slider/indicator. I might have one for $5.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Good luck...

In the Cadillac (Fleetwood) you have to virtually destroy the instrument cluster to detach the needle end of the cable (well, yes, I actually did destroy one in a junk yard to get a cable for the '94 FLT).

Having done that, I have not yet attempted to install the "new" cable in the cluster in the car. That is a chore for a long winter night and a slow instrument cluster autopsy. It may be dirt simple but I rather doubt it. It was like removing the bumper on a '73 Continental MK IV I had. If one bolt would have done the job, the Ford engineers used five, each a different size, it seemed like at the time.

You could always do as the PO of the '94 did and put a "GM Performance" emblem over the indicator opening. I got to where I can kinda tell the gear by touch and lever position.

Like I said...good luck.

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
In the Cadillac (Fleetwood) you have to virtually destroy the instrument cluster to detach the needle end of the cable (well, yes, I actually did destroy one in a junk yard to get a cable for the '94 FLT).
I was able to get this done with no problem. I don't remember exactly how, but it wasn't that tough for me to do.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Think...

Please remember and share how you got inside the housing to attach the cable to the needle. Inquiring minds want to know. :confused: Who knows, this may be worth a sticky if it works,

Thanks,

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
523 Posts
Please remember and share how you got inside the housing to attach the cable to the needle. Inquiring minds want to know. :confused: Who knows, this may be worth a sticky if it works,
I had to do this also. Its been a long time but I think it involved a pick and awe set and needle nose....oh and alchohol afterwards. I remember it being very frustrating. I have a spare cluster so I will take a look at it tonight and see if I can remember what I did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts