Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

How do I remove.....

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Sinister 
#1 ·
Just got done de-wooding the wagon and need to know the quickest and easiest way to remove the rivets/pins that held on the trim. Is there a way to get them off without causing any body damage? I want to get the car painted and as it stands i needs no body work. So the last thing I want to do is damage the body trying to remove these pins.

#2 ·
I never did it myself but from previous posts I think you need to grind them off then fill in where they came off.

#4 ·
I cut the heads off of mine with a pair of side cutters and ground the remaining stud down. They will then need to be filled/smoothed and the area painted.

Some of them MAY come all the way off and leave a small hole that will require welding.

#5 ·
What do I use to ground the remaining stud down with? And what do I fill it with? I've never done body work before, but I'm good with my hands, and pretty sure I can knock this out with a some guidance. I just need a step by step how to, and list of materials I need to get this done. I see no point in paying a shop hundreds of dollars to do this when I know I can do it myself, I just need the know how lol.

#11 ·
I've never done body work before, but I'm good with my hands, and pretty sure I can knock this out with a some guidance.
May be different, but years ago I gently removed pins from a vinyl roof trim strip with an angle grinder and thin discs. We filled, (probably cheap product) sanded and primed several times and were pretty proud of how clean it was going to look. The car was painted satin black and we could see where nearly every pin used to be. :( I don't know what we did wrong, but maybe get someone talented to look at your work before it gets painted.

#6 ·
I used my Air Compressor and a Die Grinder. Sand the area around the stud and use a pro grade body filler. A good Spot Putty should work, but most all of them will shrink over time if used on too big an area.

I don't have pics yet cause I am lazy and just primed over the spots after grinding them down :(

I'll try to fill in a couple tomorrow and get some pics of the process and what products I use.

#8 ·
I used a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel, but then I have really steady hands. It did a good job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.