Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand my "95 caprice LT1 may programed to run at 210 temp or higher for emissions sake. How do I get it re-programmed to run 200 or lower. Plastic parts keep cracking.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
You need a 160 thermostat(Hypertech 1008 or equivalent). It must be LT-1 specific for reverse flow cooling system. Contact one of the vendors here, maybe pcmperformance.comm, and get the fan turn on temps lowered combined with a performance tune that will make your car run better and last longer. It wouldn't hurt to do some reading in the section here about the cooling system as well.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
You do not need a 160 thermostat to program the car to run cooler.

The stock fan turn on temps let the engine get a LOT higher than the thermostat opening temperature before they turn on. If you ever look at your coolant temp while cruising down the highway versus idling while parked, you'll see.

You can go to www.tunercat.com and purchase his software and LT1 definition file...then you will need a cable to plug into the car under the dash. Once you have that, you can read the cars tune out, make any changes you want, and flash it back in using a laptop. I usually drop the fan on/off temps quite a bit with a stock thermostat...I don't like running a 160 degree thermostat in these cars, there's really no need for it with a stock bottom end anyways.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts

The stock fan turn on temps let the engine get a LOT higher than the thermostat opening temperature before they turn on. If you ever look at your coolant temp while cruising down the highway versus idling while parked, you'll see.

You can go to www.tunercat.com and purchase his software and LT1 definition file...then you will need a cable to plug into the car under the dash. Once you have that, you can read the cars tune out, make any changes you want, and flash it back in using a laptop. I usually drop the fan on/off temps quite a bit with a stock thermostat...I don't like running a 160 degree thermostat in these cars, there's really no need for it with a stock bottom end anyways.
Finally some sense to this often mistaken topic. Stock thermostat and retune to lower turn on temps work fine together.

·
Registered
760 Posts

I have a L99 do I need to buy the LT1 software or is there a L99 definition the site sales?

thanks.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Software for LT1's and L99's is the same, the only difference depends on if your car is a 96, or a 94/95. 94/95 cars can use the TunerCat OBD1 package, 96's, you should buy Jet's software.

·
Registered
262 Posts
A lot of guys here aren't too fond of Hypertech, but i'm happy with my Hypertech Programmer tune, and 160* stat. Works out well for me and i can reprogram the settings whenever i want to at home.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The hypertech is ok for what it is...as long as your car is mostly stock, or fairly mild, and you're not expecting anything earth shattering from the tune it can give you...then it's fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
I understand my "95 caprice LT1 may programed to run at 210 temp or higher for emissions sake. How do I get it re-programmed to run 200 or lower. Plastic parts keep cracking.
If your car is running that hot on the highway, then you need a new thermostat, not reprogramming. My wagon was doing the same thing and much of the underhood plastic was heat damaged. New thermostat, and the engine ran much cooler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts