Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how hard is it to change(labor wise) the thermostat to a 160 degree thermostat on a 1996 ImpalaSS? Also, what is the 4 letter prom code and where is it located?

Thanks
-SoKooLss

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Shouldn't be hard to do at all. Follow the upper radiator hose to the engine, you'll have to remove the bolts that hold the neck down, pull the old one out, put the new one in, and your done.

Be sure to drain some coolant from the engine (using petcock on the bottom of the radiator).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey amik i'll be shippin out the grill tomorrow(monday). Thanks again. As for the stat, you'll have to drain your cooling system because it sits on top of the water pump. After you drain it, it's just two screws away. Then just pop it out and pop in the new one. All i'll say is that my car doesn't "warm up." haha it runs so cool that, now being winter, i question myself everyday about it. It doesn't blow as much heat out as it used to, but who cares. All in all I'd do a coolant flush while the coolant is out. With the flush, rinsing with prestone superflush, and rinsing again and adding fluid and the works, i'd say an hour. Most of that time is waiting for the superflush to do it's work, and let the engine cool down a bit before draining and rinsing so you don't crack your block...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how long does it take you to take out 2 small bolts and put em bck in? add 30 seconds to that and there ya go i didnt drain any coolant and only leaked a little

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the engine is cold, you can just put a bucket under it and remove housing, about a cup of fluid comes out if you are careful. I put plastic bags over anything "downstream". Something I learned the hard way tho: The torque specs in my haynes manual (GM too, I think) are wrong for the cheap-*ss bolts. I think it said 10 or 11 ft/lbs and they snapped at about 9. A post on the Rob Cheek page mentions they are about 7 Lbs torque. I finger-tighted them and a little bit with the ratchet and that was good. Just make sure you get a t-stat for the LT1 as a friend put in some el-cheapo 160 t-stat before dyno time and it was not a reverse flow. We put his old one back in before damage, but you should have seen his temp gauge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.