Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at selling one of my SS and picking up an old cop car as a daily driver. There's a place near me that specializes in selling old cop cars.

You guys that drive them, how reliable are they? Any issues I should be aware of or consider while looking?

I guess my main concern is the transmission, that the cars would idle for long hours at a time and would then get run hard 2 or 3 times a day. Any other concerns I should have, or can I be confident I'd be getting a solid car?

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My old 9c1 tranny went out at ~105K. Nothing specifically different wear wise, although check the front suspension as (most not all) cop cars get abused more.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
keep your SSes, and buy a 9c1 for a driver. They can be bought cheap.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Depends on where they come from. I know in Minnesota the trooper cars are very well maintained and they are take home squads for the troopers. The troopers tend to take a little pride in them that way. Now my Dad is a Minneapolis Cop and he likes to joke that the street officers don’t know how to drive a car with a straight alignment. He jokes that when they get a squad back from the alignment shop they have to bounce it off of a few curbs until it drives “right”. Me personally, I have been around cops my whole life and know what a beating the cars take. Therefore I would never own an ex squad unless it was dirt cheap or free. If I want a Crown Vic, I’ll buy a Civi model with the HPP package that has been babied it’s whole life and has things like nice seats, and no wholes in the body or dash. Same thing mechanically, and if I want to look like a cop (which I don’t) I can put my own spotlight on it.

~HJ

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
I'm looking at selling one of my SS and picking up an old cop car as a daily driver.......
You can't use one of your Impalas as a daily driver :confused: ???

That would be my recommendation.....

Best of luck!!

KW

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd rather not, winter's coming, neither has seen snow and I don't want them too. Also, my worked switched locations last month and my new commute is dirtier/has more debris and I've been finding new chips and scratches everyday. Bottom line, I'm not interested in beating either of my SS's up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts