Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Moog lower balljoints today. I wanted to get my friend to help throw them on. He tells me that I need a special tool to remove/press them in. The NAPA guy says that the tool would cost a couple of hundred. What do you guys think?

I really don't want anyone to touch her but me and my buddy. I want to be able to fix everything on my baby!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Your friend and the guy at NAPA are right : you need a press to remove/install (esp install) the balljoints into the lower control arms.

If you get the arms off the car, most any machine shop (and many mechanics with a hydraulic press) can R&R the balljoints into the arms for a very reasonable cost.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I own a service station, and would charge 40.00 per side to install lower joints. I don't have to remove the arm (removing spring) to do this at my shop. It is safer and quicker this way.
Why not pay somebody with the right tool to do it cheaper, and you don't have to wear bandages for a week.
Take your wife out to supper in a good mood aferwards.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charlie raises a good point, however ball joint presses can be had for less than $100 from the companies that sell off shore made tools (I have never used their tools, so I can't speak to the quality. It may be a case of you get what you pay for. I get spoiled with access to Snap-on tools at the local Junior college.) and can be rented from some parts stores - check at the place that sold you the ball joints.

Ball joints - lowers especially - are not real easy the first time out. It is too easy to try to install them cocked, especially the larger limo joints - do that and you will be buying a new lower control arm. If your buddy has done this before then it should be no problem, but it also helps to have a really good impact wrench. Cranking on a ball joint press with a hand tool is not fun and increases the chance of cocking the joint.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AutoZone!!!
The have ball joint presses on their tool loan program.
Give them $100, they give you the press.
When your done, bring it back and they give you back your $100.
I know it's hard to belive, but it's true.
A very good deal, did mine last month.
Didn't even take the lower arms off the car.
They don't even care if you break it!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a ball joint remover from Harbor Freight Tools for $25 (on sale).

It took me 1.5 hours to change out my lower ball joints. Easy job with the right tool.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the Balljoints put on today. HOLEE JAHOVA'S WITNESS!!! Big difference my friends. The steering is a whole lot better in my opinion, like brand new. While my buddy at Meineke was putting them in he took off the spindle and all I could think of was AUTOCROSSER'S words. I should of had the top ones too. Coulda knocked out two balljoints with one stone. Heh-heh. I really see what you guys meant about the first time and a hard job putting them in yourself. If I have to do it again, I'm game but can you say AIR COMPRESSOR. Ohh yeah

I can't wait to put the top one's in myself. My front suspension is almost rebuilt.

I LIKE IT :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've done the balljoints using the AutoZone loaner tool, but I'd have to say that next time I'll just plan a bit better and take the control arms to a machine shop and have them press in the new parts (or simply buy my own press for the garage - it's becoming a frequently-needed item). My dad said about the same thing after doing ball joints on his truck, but with stronger language

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did both lowers last weekend using the tool from Autozone with few problems. Makes a world of difference in the car.

No matter what, it's always difficult to put them in straight even with the right tool. I tried to get them in a little at a time, and when they started going in crooked, I took the tool off and straightened them out with a hammer. Put the tool back on and kept pressing. Worked pretty well for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.