Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Or just leave the engine in the car?

I need to change the opti cap and rotor. A level 3 was sent out from Shane on Thursday.

Keep in mind, I have no lift or engine hoist. I will have to buy equipment either way I am sure.
Cant you rent some tools?

I removed the opti while the engine was in the car. Its not that bad.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
In my opinion, it is easier to remove the engine and tranny together on a B-body. I have done it both ways, and there was less headache with them attached.

However, That was when I was replacing the engine. if you are just replacing the tranny, just remove the tranny.

as Eric said, the opti can be replaced in the car. it is pretty easy IMO. I have replaced them in as little as an hour once I did it a few times.

~HJ

·
Registered
981 Posts
Unless you just HAVE to pull the engine for another reason, it seems a little extreme to do that just to change the Opti. I did mine in a parking lot with limited tools. No real big job once I got over the "fear of changing the Opti" factor.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I "borrowed" the harmonic balancer puller from a parts store. I know AZ has loaner tools.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
That never occured to me. Where would one rent said tools?
I "borrowed" the harmonic balancer puller from a parts store. I know AZ has loaner tools.
Yeah Autozone is a good place to start. Check the yellow pages under tool rental. There is a place near me called Prior Lake tool Rental. They rent engine hoists, car dollys, flatbed trailers, power tools for almost everything for auto or home.

There has go to be something like that near you.

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Any tool you could possibly need for an opti would be best simply to buy and be done with it. One use it's paid for 3-20X over eh. Frankly I don't even remember removing the balancer for my new opti, but I have a puller so it must have been a truly forgettable experience. ;)

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
you can buy a tranny jack for $50 at Harbor Freight...or use a floor jack with a home made wood cradle

as mentioned hand tools to replace opti with engine in car is WAY easier than pulling the motor for that particular repair....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts