Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
221 - 240 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Couldn't find a bigger hole saw in my house for some reason so need to get a larger one, but putting the mounting screws for the console in, the shifter clears so that is good news. Now just time to expand the cupholder hole, fill in some of the rougher areas, sand it down and wrap it in suede.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Ok now onto the hardest part.

Went with a leatherish material. Couldn't find something to the Alcantara style I was looking for.

Two challenges.

I don't know how to wrap around the corners properly, like how do I get it nicely stretched from both sides, all the videos I'm going through aren't helping much.

Challenge number 2 is because the trim piece doesn't come out, getting the material around the edge is very limited

Cabinetry Dress Wood Sleeve Waist

Leg Wood Sleeve Floor Flooring

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
Got a more reasonable quote to wrap the top part for 300 bucks, but that won't happen till July so this is how it sits for now. Honestly though it's not terrible, not great but not terrible either.

My carpets looking dirty so need to address that soon.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift Steering wheel

Car Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 ·
After reading Eric's big brake kit install I'm interested in adding it to my imaginary factory option that I could spec the car with. The Autoblog Project Garage: Big-brake install, Part III

Do I need at all? Nope.

But man I love how the rotor fills up the space behind the stock wheel. I would run a silver caliper though.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs

So the plan is to sell the other t56 I have and use the profit from that to go towards this.

Then buy some spindles (haven't checked the prices yet, if expensive the modify the one's on the car), modify them for the kore3 kit.

Only question is does the brake proportioning need to be adjusted (stealth brake mod done).

And for the rear brake setup still searching what people combo the front kore3 kit with.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ok now onto the hardest part.

Went with a leatherish material. Couldn't find something to the Alcantara style I was looking for.

Two challenges.

I don't know how to wrap around the corners properly, like how do I get it nicely stretched from both sides, all the videos I'm going through aren't helping much.

Challenge number 2 is because the trim piece doesn't come out, getting the material around the edge is very limited

View attachment 205368
View attachment 205367
A heat gun and some elbow grease will work wonders

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Went on a 2 week vaca.

Finally got around to finishing the other t56 I had laying around. Main reason I picked this one up was to shim it properly since my first rebuild I didn't do it and used another method by feel.

Hopefully it sells for the price I want it at so I can fund the next project which'll either be the big brake kit or getting the frame boxed.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wheel Tread

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 · (Edited)
Picked up a go pro and took some footage

Checkout the whine noise below before I had to re-do the rear-end completely with another shop.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
I want a go pro so bad for stuff like this!

Why would you want to get the frame boxed btw? I would much rather have a BBK
Yea I pulled the trigger on the gopro for this exact reason, keep missing out on footage so I said no more.

In terms of the mods it's not one or the other, they'll both eventually come :ROFLMAO:. Big brake kit is if I feel like I'm in the mood to wrench, boxing the frame is if I don't since I'll be going to a chassis shop for that.

Based on a lot of threads I've read the people who've boxed their frame seem to say it's a highly recommended mod. Particularly one guy who autocrossed his car hard, but his car was quite extreme.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
That's what I need to go find out, if it's like stupid expensive then definitely on the back burner. I'm hoping it's like in the 2k range which I can off set the cost when the transmission sells (hopefully..).

I got one shop in mind that does it professionally since it's not something I plan to cheap out on. Guess a lot of the labor involves splitting the frame from the body unless they plan on doing it with the body on but I think doing it properly requires splitting it.

Those won't happen until the trans sells though.

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
463 Posts
I would imagine it is probably in the $4k-$5k or more range at least. Taking a body off the car is no simple task.

Try adding the body bushings GM left out first and then see if boxing the frame is needed. I imagine that it is not, not to burst your bubble but I would be incredibly surprised if boxing the frame does anything.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
I would imagine it is probably in the $4k-$5k or more range at least. Taking a body off the car is no simple task.

Try adding the body bushings GM left out first and then see if boxing the frame is needed. I imagine that it is not, not to burst your bubble but I would be incredibly surprised if boxing the frame does anything.
Yea I did the bushings which was a massive difference, but based on my readings boxing the c-channels from a lot of forum members say that it makes a huge difference so it's something I want to look into.

But if it's in the 5k range I'd probably think of doing it myself at that point :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Why would you want to get the frame boxed btw?
Why in the hell would anyone NOT want a boxed frame under their B- or D-body?

It's for the same reason one does the front swaybar reinforcement plate, or rear triangulation braces, or a tow hitch:
Structural rigidity.

Sedan frames - open C-channel - are not nearly as rigid as wagon frames - fully boxed.

I've said this before:
Jack up a B-wagon under either front wheel as high as possible with a typical 3ton floor jack.
The rear wheel behind that front wheel will lift off before most typical floor jacks height limit.

Try this with a B-sedan.
Even after lifting the front wheel 24" off the ground, the rear wheel will still touch the ground.
Frame flex, baby.

You want the suspension to flex, NOT the frame - or the body, for the same reasons ...
Ask ProTools4 ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
from the beginning I was going to say don’t do any burn outs you can’t get those tires anymore only to be disappointed when seeing the nittos. I think I have to do the same thing:(. What do you think of them so far compared to the bfs

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
from the beginning I was going to say don’t do any burn outs you can’t get those tires anymore only to be disappointed when seeing the nittos. I think I have to do the same thing:(. What do you think of them so far compared to the bfs
As a summer tire great, but wet and colder conditions be careful. I would probably go 275/40/17 next time.

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
463 Posts
What brake kit are you looking at?

I was looking at the threepedals kit and the tceperformance 13" kit so I can run stock Impala wheels. I was leaning originally towards the 3P but the TCE one would be sweet with the 4 piston calipers...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #239 · (Edited)
I was leaning more towards the one threepedals offers but from kore3 themselves. KORE3 Industries LLC: On and Off-Road Performance Automotive Components

Only thing is I'm not sure what the part number for the kore3 rear setup is. I always like doing upgrades from other OEMs in this case c5/c6 rotors and calipers.

If it wasn't for the spindle modifications I may have pulled the trigger on it already.

Could even make the kit cheaper by sourcing the rotors and calipers yourself but you'd have to re-drill the rotors.

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS
463 Posts
I also like OEM upgrades as well but I felt like the 2 piston calipers were too small for such a beast. Those wilwoods just keep calling my name lol
The spindle modification ain't bad, wonder if you can get two extra spindles to ship off so you can keep driving the car?

221 - 240 of 304 Posts