Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
241 - 260 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 ·
Ran into an interesting phenomenon on the highway.

Tried downshifting from 6th to 5th, nasty grind, tried again, rev match downshift, grind.

Then I dropped back into 4th then back up to 5th no issue.

Transmission and clutch engagement feels totally normal.

Based on my reading, the culprit is either a worn blocker ring in which my case the trans is refreshed with all new synchros so that's not it.

The other thing that was mentioned was somehow the reverse lock out is interfering with the 6-5 downshift. I need to test it by unplugging the lockout and trying it again.

The grind is immediate, it doesn't feel like the blocker ring even has a chance to engage when I'm downshifting from 6-5.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I've got a similar issue going on with my rebuild. 2-3 good 4-3 no go. Also 2-3 at high RPM no go. I'm suspecting a hard part I didn't replace like the syncro teeth are warn out in one direction but not the other and are preventing me from getting a clean 3rd gear downshift. Won't know for sure till I open it back up though.

-Brian

Reactions: toonwarrior

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Definitely odd because all my synchros are brand new, and I replaced the gear itself too, unless I'm thinking that I replaced 6th instead of 5th. But regardless the wear was not bad and the upshift to 5th is smooth so something else is happening.

I need to try it again but I'm just afraid of toasting it even more so can't really go test it. The next time I will is when I unplug the reverse lockout just to make sure that for whatever reason it isn't interfering with the downshift.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Decided it was time for tint, especially if I want to take the car out more.

Went with the stratos ceramic tint at 15%, 30% would be too light with these large windows.

It's really dark when there's no light on it but put it into any light and it's still fairly see through. 95% of the time I drive with my windows down so hopefully no issues with the 5.0.

Just had it installed so needs a few days to cure, hopefully it's hot tomorrow so I can put the heat rejection to the test.

Tire Wheel Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Went to a chassis shop that does a lot of promods and what not.

Would need to provide them the frame off body and it would cost a few 100 bucks to get it welded up.

But to pull the body off the frame requires some serious space and time so boxing the frame is definitely on the back burner now.

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts
Thoughts,
Make sure you are getting clean clutch disengagement.
No air
Nothing stopping full pedal travel.
( stops, mats, padding, etc)
The F clutch setup ,which I assume you are using , is marginal travel wise as I remember.
Of course a 100% blocker should "block" and prevent the grind but,

Then there is the old " which type, weight, brand fluid" debate.

Google that when you have a few hours.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
Thoughts,
Make sure you are getting clean clutch disengagement.
No air
Nothing stopping full pedal travel.
( stops, mats, padding, etc)
The F clutch setup ,which I assume you are using , is marginal travel wise as I remember.
Of course a 100% blocker should "block" and prevent the grind but,

Then there is the old " which type, weight, brand fluid" debate.

Google that when you have a few hours.
I actually noticed my pedals were quite loose from the bracket cause there was creaking noises which I didn't hear before whenever I had the pedals depressed. Re-tightened them, one hour of highway driving with multiple 6-5 downshifts and no issue. Most likely caused issues with the master cylinder engagement.

Should probably throw in some locktite..

Think we are good for now though.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Dropped my car at the body shop recommended by a few people I know.

Getting the deep scratches in my hood repaired and the fender dent I've had that's been bothering me everytime I look at the car.

Always sketched out by body shops seeing what others go through sometimes, but generally that's due to them thinking a full paint job costs 2000 dollars.

Should be back by this weekend, on Monday I pick up the re-upholstered center console if all goes to plan.

Hope that's the end of spending on this car for a bit 😂

Car Automotive parking light Cloud Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
So I'm not going to properly detail it till like next week just cause I'll let the paint cure.

Before:
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

After:
Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

There's a tiny of orange peel on the top in the camera but I legitimately cannot see it in person, only see it on the camera, once it gets cut and polished it should go away. Plus the car is still filthy.

In terms of the hood, seems to be perfect, all the dents pulled out and deep scratches gone.

before:
Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

after:

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Plant Tire

Overall very happy, quick turn around, and no cringing when I look at the fender dent.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
So I decided it's easier to service the air filter with the stock airbox than cleaning the K&N filters with my CAI, for whatever reason there's just so much dust build up and it's just a hassle to clean everytime.

I did the swiss cheese mod but have no idea if it's done correctly, can't find any examples on the forum on how it should actually be done.

Office equipment Space bar Typewriter Input device Gas

241 - 260 of 304 Posts