Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I actually thought it was the diff initially and brought it back to the shop to which they verified it was the trans, the catch here is that they said that noise is fine and is because of the gear design of these transmissions. I really have should have done some more research...

Seems like all the proper vendors like amp, TDP and tick don't have mainshafts in stock so probably have to ship it to TDP to get it machined since their the only company that does it and from what I've read is a solid alternative.

5th-6th synchro assembly chewed up
Tire Stairs Wheel Automotive tire Tread

Fairly certain that 3rd gear maybe in a similar state due to how it felt right before I pulled it from the car...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Honestly no idea if I'm doing this right or not. Just taking a reading before I inspect the 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Total up and down I was reading 0.005 of play, so if it was set to a preload by the shop would I be reading 0 because there's essentially no movement since it's already under load? I know the image shows the tip right at the edge so I tried to get it as straight as possible so the reading is correct.

And for example if I was in the stage of re-assembly and I had 0.005 endplay would I add a shim with a thickness of 0.007 to get that 0.002 of preload?

Font Material property Gas Fashion accessory Electric blue

With shims out of stock and my ability to get a proper reading for the preload is where I have to make the decision to either attempt re-assembly myself or bring it someone I found 2 hours away from me that builds these transmissions. Well that's after I inspect 1st, 2nd and 3rd and order what needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
But yes, you take clearance readings then add a shim that is that number plus the preload you want.

As in
Measure .030 no shim
Want .002 preload

Install .032 shim

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
5-6th synchro sleeve a bit toast
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Grille Motor vehicle

1-2nd sleeve looks like it needs replacing
Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire Automotive wheel system Wood

3-4th sleeve doesn't look too bad but 3rd was the gear I started having trouble shifting into. And I did grind it once or twice so I'm surprised it's as sharp as it is compared to the other sleeves.
Camera accessory Automotive tire Gear Camera lens Wood

As for the gears itself:

1st:

Looks ok to me?
Gear Gas Auto part Metal Fashion accessory

2nd:

Looks like the similar wear seen on the first. Probably should have taken the blocker ring off for a better pic.

Automotive tire Gear Bicycle part Rim Household hardware
Camera accessory Automotive tire Gas Nickel Jewellery

3rd gear:

Similar to the previous 2.

Automotive tire Gas Metal Barrel Automotive wheel system

4th is being replaced and 5th.

6th:

Similar wear to the previous gears.
Automotive tire Gear Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

I don't see any issues with the gears, but that's just me not knowing what bad gear wear is so maybe it is?

The 5-6th gear splines on the shaft don't look as bad as I thought so I may just keep the mainshaft as is.
Wood Cylinder Material property Gas Auto part

I'll order up the new sleeves then start re-assembling. The issue now is where do I get shims cause I can't find any. Worst case scenario is throw everything back together without re-shimming assuming the shop did it in spec, which I think they did based on the play the shaft had before the rebuild. But preferably if I can find the shims I can re-do it just to rule that out.

After talking with Jason from TDP I will replace second gear also with the newer style one.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I'm getting ready to do my own rebuild as well, and suspect my hunt for shims will end up requiring me to call a bunch of rebuilders asking for the exact size I need once I measure it. Or obtaining shim stock from work and cutting my own... This will probably be a Jan/Feb project for me.

-Brian

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
"The 5-6th gear splines on the shaft don't look as bad"

Hum, doesn't look great .
Well I would replace it, but I contacted that ebay seller and it was out of stock, and no one gets it back till february. To ship it to TDP and back is expensive. So really I don't have much of a choice so I have to tell myself its fine haha.

I will say though the car had no issues in 5th gear even with a worn out synchro and gear. Which I am replacing so I don't think it'll be an issue. I hope.

Worst worst case scenario is pull everything out again but only if I have the new mainshaft if 5th is an issue.

Wood Metal Gun accessory Ammunition Steel

Tool Cylinder Bottle Gas Wood

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Since I didn't get my driveshaft yet I decided let's just do it once properly. The rear wheels not being centered bothers me more than I'd like it to. So I ordered up the BMR kit.

Reason being is I'm already running a BMR front bar so why not complete the kit, just hope the rear bar isn't too much bar.
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle

My main concern is that once I install it it's going to hit up against the exhaust specifically the bend that goes over the axle. At that point I have to decide do I cut it before the axle, or contact Dan at CIA and see what I can do. Issue is the place I went to welded up the back of the cats..............

Once I get these installed I'll order the extended driveshaft from a local place since Dennys wont ship to Canada

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 · (Edited)
Edited post since it's actually not as bad as I thought.

Replacing the flywheel but clutch and PP will stay.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Car Tread

Automotive tire Tire Rim Tread Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim Circle Auto part

Automotive tire Tread Wood Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Rear wheel centered, I may have to put a spacer on the spring so it maintains the rake but I guess I'll decide that once the car is on the ground.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
That pressure plate doesn't look the best...as long as it's apart, you might consider getting it surfaced or replaced
The PP is pretty much brand new though, only put 2000km on it. And from what I've read resurfacing the PP isn't ideal. I've asked around and the consensus was it's fine so I guess if it gives me issues when I throw everything back together I will deal with it then.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Now that I have a good condition input shaft, I guess that's why they said the one on the right was trash
😆
, didn't realize it shouldn't be narrower at one portion of the top...

Blue Cylinder Gas Technology Liquid

1-2 upgrades.
Billet 1-2 keys with new springs and slider

Tire Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Grille

Automotive tire Tread Bicycle part Gas Auto part

New style 2nd gear, take a look at the length difference to the original style one on the right.

Gas Nickel Font Metal Fashion accessory

3-4 synchro assembled. Hopefully correctly lol..

Automotive tire Tire Tread Rim Bicycle part

5-6 synchro assembly disassembled.

New (used) slider, springs and stock keys here

Blue Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas Auto part

T56 Steel 3-4 Shift Fork upgrade, beefier, but a lot skinnier interesting.

Art Automotive tire Machine Auto part Creative arts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I genuinely panicked thinking that I broke 3rd gear when I was pressing on the synchro assembly. Time to go at it again tomorrow with a fresh head.

Silver Foil Automotive tire Cylinder Nickel

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Mainshaft back together, nerve wracking experience having the keys fall out and having to pull everything out again and press it back on.

The kit from TDP had a mix up with the 4th gear blocker ring so they need to ship that out to me so can't fully put it back together. But I'tll give me time to put everything in place and clean it up.

I'll measure endplay again and if there is any play then I'll have to go to the shop and get it re-shimmed just because I can't find any still.

Gas Art Engineering Machine Auto part

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
276 Posts
That looks like a gearhead Christmas tree.

81 - 100 of 121 Posts