Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Administrator
6,114 Posts
Nice work... days are getting longer, it's almost six speed season!

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
If you cant obtain the Tremec shim "kit" possibly once you determine the shim sizes you need you could order from GM

Note, you will never get accurate readings with residual sealer on surfaces. spotless and torqued is important.

Ford and Mopar might also be sources as they both used T56s

Font Line Parallel Handwriting Music
Font Material property Pattern Number Monochrome
Font Material property Pattern Screenshot Parallel
Font Pattern Number Circle Symmetry

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 · (Edited)
Clearance checking tool setup for the countershaft
Automotive tire Coil spring Gas Wood Automotive wheel system
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

Musical instrument Blue Product String instrument Plucked string instruments

The first question is, can I dial indicate it from the top or is there a difference reading it from the bottom like how all the videos do it.? 😆

So my readings where around 0.04 endplay with both shims removed from the countershaft and mainshaft with the bearing races re-installed.

So I would need a shim that is 0.042 - 0.044for the countershaft.

But checking the part numbers the thickness for the countershaft shim only goes up to 0.04 so I'm thinking I didn't read it properly?

The other problem is I pulled out the shims, I measured them, but I forgot which one is which 😆 but both of these sized shims (whichever one is for the countershaft) wouldn't get it into spec based on my first dial indicator readings.

Calipers Plant Automotive tire Scale Gauge

Automotive tire Asphalt Drill Pneumatic tool Gas

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
You are trying to make presion measurements and adjustments with that filthy trans case ??

Ok back to it,

The two front shims should be different diameters .
Look in the notes in the picture of my shims.
Handwriting Font Rectangle Plant Paper

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Also note I have numbers up into the 50s.
These are aftermarket though .

The highest shim in that camaro parts book was .040 ,yes
But if you google 1409884 and higher sequential numbers they show up as high as 1409887
Searching those numbers with my dealer as an 05 CTSV they show up.
Converting from metric they are

1409884 .041
1409885 .042
1409886 .043
1409887 .044

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I cleaned up the surface mating areas but yes the trans is case disgustingly caked I'm not sure why I haven't cleaned it yet.

I think I need to cut down the shaft tool because when I tried to take a reading again it was bouncing between 0.036 and 0.04 which is too huge of a difference.

I rechecked the shim size for the countershaft and it is 0.041. So I think what I'll do is put the shim back and follow TDPs instructions which were check if the countershaft moves up and down (if so then add shim size), if not make sure it spins freely. If it doesn't move up/down and spins freely then supposedly it's good to go.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Called the local GM dealers here, nothing in Canada in terms of shims... Actually ridiculous.

So I said you know what let's call some shops around me again to see if they'd reshim and re-assemble it, some denied, some referred me to the same shop that I had reverse rebuild at.

I think I have no choice but to just throw it back together, it felt pretty good after the shop had reverse rebuilt so I'm just going to put it back together and check endplay again, if it was similar to what I measured the first time should be good to go I think.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
What............ The replacement synchro they sent for sending the wrong one initially, is wrong AGAIN.

Another 2 weeks down? I called the Tremec dealer, I called the dealership, out of stock in Canada.

I genuinely do not understand how such a widely used transmission I cannot get parts for here that I have to order from the states, this project so far has been 95% waiting for crap, definitely getting on the nerves now a bit.

·
Super Moderator
9,171 Posts
For reference, 75% of the time when I stop in at my local transmission shop, they have a T56 pile stacked on the far end of the workbench. And every time I ask "what's the story on that one?" "Waiting on parts." Always waiting on parts for T56s. And that's here in USA.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Stateside I've had very good luck with thegearbox.org

They ship internationally but it's still probably the same wait since that's a shipping issue separate from the inventory issue.

-Brian

Reactions: toonwarrior

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Actually just order up a new mainshaft, 5/6 gear and a 5/6 sychro from them. Hopefully I can put my transmission back together next weekend.

-Brian

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Actually just order up a new mainshaft, 5/6 gear and a 5/6 sychro from them. Hopefully I can put my transmission back together next weekend.

-Brian
Who did you get the mainshaft from? Was told they were all on backorder till feb.

To do the refresh properly I should have got a new main shaft , 5-6 cluster, 3rd gear, and new countershaft extension. But at that point I've literally replaced every single thing in the trans lol. Aslong as I don't lug it in 5-6th think it should be fine hopefully.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I got it from thegearbox.org Their website is usually pretty good about showing in or out of stock and currently they show mainshafts in stock.

-Brian

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
So while I wait for the 4th gear synchro here's what I did.

I measured the CS endplay without the shim but the readings were inconsistent and I could not get it right, between 0.036 and 0.04 I was getting.

The shim I pulled out was 0.041. So I tested it the way TDP told me to which was just install the CS with the mid plate and case, see if it spins freely but doesn't have any up and down play. If both those conditions pass it should be good which it was.

For the mainshaft endplay without the shim I was reading 0.041 pretty consistently. But without any shims I just threw the old one back in which was sized at 0.038 so technically I should be reading an end play of 0.003 at the end of this.

But with everything back together the input shaft is pretty difficult to move in neutral, almost the same as it is in 1-4, (5-6 locked out on me so need to pull the tailshaft off and see what happened).

So it shows signs of too much preload, but it also sounds like a bag of rocks which is a sign of endplay and my feeling is that there is too much endplay and something else is causing the binding.

Next steps are pull front plate off, remove shim, re-install see how the shaft rotates and make sure that there isn't some other thing causing the resistance.

Once the 4th blocker ring arrives I'll contact the shop I went to initially to see if they can re-shim it but for now just testing to get a better understanding of this.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
If you can't get repeatable readings , you cant really trust any of your readings.

Personally I don't agree with no preload no- clearance as acceptable setting for counter .
Zero at room temp will become clearance when hot.
This regardless of published specs.

Shaking the input like that is going to make noise dry preload or not.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
I see, well I'm pretty much grasping at straws without having shims.

I know I have to go down a shim size from 0.038 with how tight the input is right now in neutral.

As for the CS and CS extension, not exactly sure what the preload method is without using a dial indicator other than the process of what TDP told me which I did above.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Looking at your photos and my understanding of the shimmin procedure from the tremec book, it seems to me they want the dial indicator to ride on the opposite end from the tool/shaft your pulling on, where possible. I also would try to have my dial indicator anchored to the case. This should prevent any error from showing up in any rocking on the press your photos show you doing this on. This might mean anchoring a piece of steel to the case for the magnetic base.

Also thanks for reminding me I need to add an extra hole to my work bench so I can get to the plug in the input plate from below. Much easier to mark and drill now while I can just poke a sharpie though the hole to mark it.

-Brian

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Looking at your photos and my understanding of the shimmin procedure from the tremec book, it seems to me they want the dial indicator to ride on the opposite end from the tool/shaft your pulling on, where possible. I also would try to have my dial indicator anchored to the case. This should prevent any error from showing up in any rocking on the press your photos show you doing this on. This might mean anchoring a piece of steel to the case for the magnetic base.

Also thanks for reminding me I need to add an extra hole to my work bench so I can get to the plug in the input plate from below. Much easier to mark and drill now while I can just poke a sharpie though the hole to mark it.

-Brian
Yea good point on attaching it to the case. Let me know if you find a shim kit,

Tick,
TDP,
AMP,
Gearbox
Dealerships and a bunch of trans shops around me
Every single online shop that carries TRKT1317

TDP is sending me a few so hopefully it has the right sizes, need input shaft shims around 0.035 to 0.037

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Actually Hanlon motorsports carries the shims. But they sell them separately so itll end up being more expensive than normal fyi

101 - 120 of 121 Posts