Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm shopping for a keyless remote entry system ( may be a remote starter too) and i want a system i can instal by myself ( so customer service is somehow important) and about the only one availlable meeting these criterias around here is from Bulldog ( Wal-Mart). So i was wondering if it's a good choice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For ease of installation and quality stick with any alarm made by DEI. Go here and look at the different brand names DEI makes. One of the cheapest places to get the alarm to install it yourself is Ebay. Just type in the model number in a search and you will find what you are looking for. One of the best alarms that are on the market, IMO, is CompuStar. Awsome range, pager, remote start, blah, blah, blah. But it can get a little more confusing to install than anything I have done before. After you pick out the one you want goto here and enter in your car. It will tell you the colors and locations. My number one tip for a newbie to alarms is TAKE YOUR TIME, plan on taking ALL DAY to do it right and clean. (PM me if you need more help in the actual installation.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have three bulldog remote starter / keyless entry / alarm units. They are pretty basic, but they're easy to install and their tech support and online documentation is decent. I will say that their range is pretty lousy, even the "extended range" versions I got are not impressive. I got a deal and paid about $60 for each, but if I had to do it all over again....

The killer with any remote start / keyless / alarm is TIME. I had 15 hours into my first install (98 malibu with a nasty dash!), 8 hours into another car, and 6 hours into my Caprice which was already in pieces. So, if you're gonna spend all that time, spend it installing a NICE unit. Bulldog is bottom of the line. Their stuff ain't bad, but it's far from great. Also, I've had problems with their tach sensitivity.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, i will probably get a Viper remote start/entry. Do you know if the company will keep up with the guarantee if i do the install myself?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you install it the company won't give you a warranty. But I would take your chances and do it yourself or find a friend in the industry. Bulldog stuff is cheap and you get what you pay for. Headaches and crappy quality. Anything by DEI is good stuff and they have a bunch of different product lines. I just bought a Python 881XP (Similar to the Viper 791XV) and it is a very nice alarm with every feature imaginable.
Virtual Outlook
DEI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would recommend going to a shop installing something, warranty, depends on your skill level(even though I am an electrician I rather leave it to someone who does this all the time-everyday), and less headaches such as a bad remote I had in my Viper. I have put their products in every car I owned and am a satisfied customer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't let people work on my car even if they're called thechnician. They tend to mess up with the electrical and the car owner end with problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by 96 CAP 9C1:
I don't let people work on my car even if they're called thechnician. They tend to mess up with the electrical and the car owner end with problems.
Not if you go to a reputable car stereo shop. STAY AWAY from Shorcut City (Circuit City) and Cheater (Tweeter) and Best Fry (Best Buy) or ANY of the chain stores. They WILL mess up your car for sure. You can just about guarantee that.

Go to a local *high end* car stereo shop and have them do it. Ask if they solder all their connections. Do some homework, ask around. You should be able to get a DEI remote start installed from about 150 bucks (no locks, etc) and up from there. In this dept, I'd say twice the price is well worth the warranty, your time saved, and the headaches you'll save during install.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the hand on a VKE 1000 from GM, so i'll go with it. Doesn't have starter/alarm features but i don't realy need these anyway.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BS on the owner install no warranty.
I've got a Bulldog Pro series in my elky.
Range is great will work from inside the house without opening door or window.
I smoked the unit inadertently on install. sent it back and within a week Had it back. Its been in for 4 years no problems,excellent tech support.
Yes I would definately buy another

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.