Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving today and saw this Imp that was sooooo hammered that I couldn't believe it. It was parked and was on stock rims but looked as though the tires were a lower profile. The front fenderwell was below the edge of the rim and it looked so f*ing cool. How low are some of you going with only springs alone. I'm running ST's right now and I occasionally scrape the frame as it is. If I can hammer my car a bit more I'll do it and suffer. Thanks, NAES

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey NAES,

Is this DCM Impala, the one you are talking about? I saw this Imp at the car show in San Diego held at Qualcomm Stadium hosted by ICSD. It was really low, on stock wheels, with some really low profile tires (the lowest profile tire I've seen on our stock wheels).

I thought maybe this was the one you were speaking of, but I am pretty sure this had an air bag suspension, as I imagine he/she is buddies with Jason Fluch (who is parked right next to the DCM).

That is actually ME in the pic, bent down, trying to read the tire size of those low profile tires, but could not read them due to the car being so low :D :

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by randode:
spark it or park it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with randode on this one. But... I would say 2" springs, 2" spindles, and some rubber bands will get you about 4 1/2-5" lower in the front. Then cut a coil of the drop springs out back and you'll be cool. You'er gona hate speed bumps reall quick, but it will be cool. BTW, You live in Cali and you want to drop it that much on springs?!
More power to ya. When I lived out there I used to scrape on every driveway, intersection and nasty bump there was. That's with having a good 3 inches of ground clearence, at least. I had to drive up sideways every were. I say go bags. It's a lot less hecktic IMO.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
those 2 cars look amazing, i'm going to make that my wall paper right now. i think that would be bags tho, it just seems a bit too low for springs, unles he did other stuff to them aswell. maybe he body dropped it, i think i remember jason talking about doing a body drop on his car. and to my understanding that would make the body lower, but the frame the same height so he might not scrape. i really like how that dcm looks so stock too. any more pics of it?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, jason's is body dropped so it scrapes body not frame. The dcm has gotta be bagged cause thats about as low as mine when its laying frame.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rear springs can't be cut. :(

The DCM is definately a bagged car. That thing wouldn't be driveable w/ coils.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was at the San Diego show and saw that same DCM imp and now realize the car I saw had to be bagged cuz it was just about as low as the one in the pic. This one was BBB.
Scrapyard, I'm used to going sideways all over speed bumps and dips etc. My caprice just scrapes that front plastic piece mostly. Only occasionally do I scrape frame. I'm unsure of a way to cut a coil out of the rear springs though. anyway, I want to be low w/o the bags for now, thats all. We'll see what I can come up with. NAES

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can always whip out the torch and bend the rears. Yeah, it'll ruin the rate on them, but when your that low the ride will suck anyway.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, stupid moment. I went and looked at my stock rears after I posted and relized what I said
. The ride dosn't have to suck when you'er that low. Mine is pretty livable right now. The extra 500lbs dosn't hurt, Neither do the shocks. Here's a thought. Could you use a set of cut stock front springs out back? It would probably be stiffer then hell but it would get you were you want to be.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It'd suck because you'd either be bouncing off the bumpstops or the pavement. That's why I love the bags. Drop it down when cruisen' and raise it up when drivin'.

You'd need springs that have the same inside diameter as the diameter of the pig tail. Front B-Body springs are too big and the ride would be horrible.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is the size of those tires, damn they are like rubberbands. Whats the lowest profile to get without getting dangerous around town, I am usually around pretty good roads but i dont want a pothole to kill my rims.I was thinking 275/40??? any lower

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey RacerSS what size wheel you running?I am assuming 17"?You can go 275/30.I am running the Bridgestone Potenza S-O2's in a 285/30/20.I love the tires but the place I bought my wheels from cant seem to get them balanced correctly.They claim because the sidewall is so stiff,they have always had this problem with this peticular tire.When they get them balanced correctly I will be much happier!I have always liked the look of a tire with a short sidewall(low profile)Go with a 30 or 35 series,you will be happy. ;)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lowest NON-bagged car I know of is ROD member Les Brown's 95 DCM. It has some Eibachs in it....ones that are "inconsistent" towards the side of being VERY low.

His car is within fractions of an inch of the airbagged NON-frame-dropped cars I've seen!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey CandySSonDubz, I have stock rims..also Is ride unbearable, or bothersome, i dont want to regret it, even though i know it will look bada$$ I dont want to bend a rim on a bad road, ya know? I know 275/40 is tried and true but i would like to go lower but not at too much of a loss. Thanks for the reply

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you can cut a rear coil. i have seen somewhere on here i think it was where some guys did it. they had to use a rubber insulator from a Fbody or something once they cut a coil off the smallest end. so i know itll work you just have to find a rubber insulator to keep it seated to the axle. SSeeya

nick

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A local guy cut both the front and rear stock springs on his 95 BBB and I am here to say it is every bit as low as that DCM in the first pic, especially in the front. I am not going to start arguing about what you can and cant do to the rear springs on these cars, if you dont think you can cut them, thats your opinion. I do think bags are the way to go though, but if you need that cheap curb scraper mod, break out your cutting wheels and take a few hours on a Sunday...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SS964mo and RacerSS,

I really wasn't kidding when I said the car was so low I couldn't read the tire size.

But I myself am running 40 series tires in a 275/40/17 on my stock rims, and these tires on the DCM were way smaller than mine.

They must have been 35 or possibly even 30 series tires :eek:

-Tony

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just try cutting them and having them seat properly w/o doing anything else to the perches or spring ends. You'll find out quick that it doesn't work to the point where it'd be safe to drive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts