Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

How many consistent passes are you getting out of a 10b bottle?

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  The Bolt-On Terror 
#1 ·
Trying to get my car back together and this may have been discussed years ago. Anyway on a 150 shot I get one good pass then drop about 2 tenths and stay there for the next 2 or 3 passes. I have two complete kits with bottle warmers and if the bottle is swapped it does the same. Thinking of switching to a dual 75 shots, but need to replace a solenoid and add another purge. Was also thinking of just getting a 20lb bottle instead. BTW this is for the 1/4 on the 1/8 I use to get around 5 or 6, but that track has been gone for 5 years, so not 100%.

Any suggestions?

#7 · (Edited)
i get 4 exactly the same passes in the 1/4 on a 150 shot.
That's what I use to get also. When I had the guy fill it up with 11 lbs I could get 5 passes out of every bottle before slowing down.

I would bring 3 bottles to the track and swap 'em out after 5 passes. I kept the bottles in the freezer, this made it very easy to "top them off" instead of emptying them and re-filling the whole 10 lbs. After 4-5 passes there was approx. 3-4 lbs still in the bottle.

FWIW my bottle heater was controlled by a pressure switch, not a temperature switch. It kept the bottle at 1000 psi.

#3 ·
Kevin,
I bet the bottle pressure was up on the first passes.
It is really going to depend on the time.
I usually get about 3 then the pressure starts to fall at the end of the track.
But like above, the faster you are, the longer it will last.

#6 ·
Two of my friends that I use to race with told me about the Nsno a few years ago (totally forgot about it). Both of them were having problems at certain tracks passing tech. Not sure if they built the systems their self or if bought them.

Tell me more about this scuba tank. Self built ect.. ;)

Getting the wagon ready for the track after a 4 year hibernation.

#8 ·
I think everyone hit the key points. I will add one more that should help in most systems. If you are only running a dash 4 line then change it to a dash 6 line. If you want the best then you need a NANO and it will pass tech. Scuba tanks would be an issue at most tracks that are really looking at this stuff.

One added plus is with the NANO you don't need a heater anymore. You now need the bottles cold which a few small bags of ice on the bottom of the nitrous tank will do even on a 90 degree day. You can also run the tank all the way empty, or close, so you need less tanks at the track. It's expense is the only down fall but it does work.

#9 ·
sorry bout that
too much sarcasim
let me dail it back

scuba tank = 20lber to me

#10 ·
I don`t think a scuba tank can be made to work as a NANO setup...
the NANO tank has a regulator that keeps the NO2 at an optimum
pressure (IIRC 1050 psi.).

The toughest thing for me with the NANO was to find a place that can fill it with compressed air / nitrogen to 4500psi... The closest I can get is around
3800 - 3900 psi at my local scuba shop. I think they (NANO) have another setup
that runs 3000 psi. That is much easier to achieve than 4500.
A local paintball place can do that with no prob.

#15 ·
You should be able to get a tank at most welding supply places that have cylinders. You can rent a 6000 PSI tank for a few bucks and it will pay for its self as you will use it. One thing that got my attention was when you fill the little NANO tank it gets hot because of that 6000 PSI. May sure you know what your doing as you are playing with 6000 PSI and you dont just release the small tank from the fitting on the side.

When you looking to keep you tune up on the mark the NANO is a must. You will not get the power pickup they claim unless your doing it wrong with your current setup. The NANO does help a little but nothing huge. BUT it is huge from going rich on the big end on your tuneup.

#12 ·
Hey , Hey!!!!

With My Last NOS Set Up. I Would Use 3/4's OF A 10 # Bottle Per Pass!!!!! BIG SHOT !!!!! My Choice Was Always Supply Over Pressure !!!!!!!

THE BADDER BOWTIE

#13 ·
Lots of good info! I always maintained same bottle pressure. I ran across a scuba tank on CL several months ago for $50, but it had already sold. I think I do need to go bigger on my lines and figure something for the bottles (dual stage, scuba tank or nano).

Thanks for all the input!

#16 ·
I just witnessed Alex's Nano setup performing very well and very consistently this past Saturday at Cecil. With nowhere near the air quality he had last December there, he still improved his times by .1 sec and trap speed went up a tick as well. Back to back 10.6's @ 126+

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.