Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my SS in my boys shop gettin the tranny rebuilt with a shift kit, anyways i was wondering if I could get some advice on deciding how many washers to go with? Its my daily driver and the back seat ALWAYS puts my 5 year old daughter to sleep.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
What TC are you running? Are you using the Transgo kit?

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
How many washers to use........Its my daily driver and the back seat ALWAYS puts my 5 year old daughter to sleep.
1. What Pat asked.

2. How hard do you want it to shift?

3. How much do you want your daughter to continue taking 'car naps'?

KW

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. What Pat asked.

2. How hard do you want it to shift?

3. How much do you want your daughter to continue taking 'car naps'?

KW
Stock tc and yea im using tha trans go kit. I want it to be noticeable but not neck breakin when im leanin:D

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Got my SS in my boys shop gettin the tranny rebuilt with a shift kit, anyways i was wondering if I could get some advice on deciding how many washers to go with? Its my daily driver and the back seat ALWAYS puts my 5 year old daughter to sleep.
Answers to the other questions pre-empting, I'd recommend "none" if you're happy to see your girl sleeping in the back. Understand that the change in springs alone will firm up the shift w/out even addressing washers. I'm inclined to removing the transgo spring and piece it back to stock because it's, well...annoying for a DD.

Mind you this is 1-2 shift only. On the highway, your girl won't notice any difference. W/ stop and go, she will.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
........I want it to be noticeable but not neck breakin when im leanin:D
If you just want a 'noticable' shift.....then one washer will easily do the trick (IMHO).

KW

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Definitely ZERO washers if you're using the stock TC.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
Honestly, I'd put a Sonnax pinless accumulator piston in there and leave the rest of that accumulator stock. I'm not a big fan of the TransGo accumulator setup. Yes, you can put it in there with the rest of the TransGo kit installed in the remainder of the transmission without problems.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Definitely ZERO washers if you're using the stock TC.

.......light throttle 1-2 shifts will be unnecessarily harsh.
Very true.......higher stall TCs tend to soften your shifts.

The stock TC is only about a 1400 stall so it will have a firm shift with 1 washer but it won't be a neck snapper......been there, done that.

Don't know how zero washers will shift, as I've never had a zero washer shift kit with the stock TC.

KW

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Zero washers, 1 washer, 2 washers.......all acceptable in my book with a 3000 or higher stall converter. I've had 2 in my Impala ever since installing the original Yank 3000 in it, and part throttle shifts have always been very firm but not harsh.

But here's my experience that better relates to the OP's situation:
Transgo kit + 093 servo (OE in ImpalaSS) in my pickup: Zero washers with stock converter and you would definitely not want the part throttle 1-2 shift to hit any harder. I'm still running 0 washers in it now with the SS3600 converter, and I consider the part-throttle 1-2 shift to be as near perfect as you can get. Very firm, quick, but nothing approaching harsh.

·
Registered
493 Posts
When I re-did the trans in my cousins car, he had two washers installed in tandem with adjusting firmness in the PCM. It chirped the tires on every 1-2 shift and was a bear to ride in..I'd think maybe just adjusting the firmness might be enough to do what you want, sans shift kit.I know my 1 1/2 yr. old son appreciates my build without a kit:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Trans-Go + Stock converter

I just installed the Trans-go shift kit two weeks ago, Essentailly stock 96 with bolt on's, stock trans and 3.42's.

+1 for the Sonnax pistons!

I installed the Sonnax pistons at all 3 positions (About another $25.00 of part).

With the Sonnax Pinless accumulator pistons I was
not able to assemble the 2nd accumulator per the instructions.
The Sonnax piston would not allow the use of the lower "BLUE" spring, so I installed the piston without the spacers or spring seat and retained the stock "Yellow" spring under the piston. I did install the "ORANGE" spring above the piston.

With the above set up the car will "bark the tires" in 2nd, if you want to! Shifts are crisp but not what I would consider harsh. I would recommend this same set-up for your car!

I got the pistons here (2ea. 1-2 & 3/4):
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com...on_accumulator_piston_kit_p/400-07799803k.htm

FWD Piston

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/4L60E_transmission_accumulator_piston_p/400-07798701k.htm

[email protected]

·
Registered
448 Posts
In my "modified" TransGo Shift kits I use the Sonnax (pinless) on the forward piston, but on the 2nd accumulator, I add a "hardened" RC52 accumulator pin and a modified 2nd accumulator (non oem) piston here. This way I can get the smooth shifts at "part throttle" and quick firm at "WOT" shifts. I "never" use spacers in any of my kits, nor do I offer them. I stay conservative on the separator plate feed hole sizes on the 2nd gear feed, as I want the 1-2 part throttle shifts to be smooth but quick. 2nd gear is very easy to make firm. The main purpose of the 2nd apply servo is to act as the accumulator for 3rd gear. The Corvette servo was designed to improve the 2-3 shift, not the 1-2 shift. Even the 553 servo can be made to "bark" the tires on the 1-2 WOT shift. There is much more here, but this should suffice for most.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts