Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the new drag radials this week (275/60/15) and will be headin' to the track Wednesday.

Just need to know how much air pressure I should race at? I'm thinkin' 18-20 PSI but I have no practical experience in the area :confused:.

Thanks!

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KWBaraka:
Just need to know how much air pressure I should race at? I'm thinkin' 18-20 PSI but I have no practical experience in the area <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Keith,

It depends on several factors. One of which is the tire brand? Assuming BFG's, I've seen good results from 21-25 psi. Nittos are run at much lower pressures.

Perhaps the manufacturers wegsite would help?

-Ronnie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my 275/40 BFG DR's I usually run about 26 psi cold, give or take a couple of psi based on track condition. I have found this is the highest pressure range I can consistantly hook with. The higher the pressure the fastest the average trap speed and as long as you don't spin the lower the ET. If I start to spin I lower the pressure a couple of psi.

I would recommend experimenting to find the highest pressure you can run and still consistantly hook with. This will be evidenced by your 60' times which should be consistant and "low".

HTH.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're running BFG's, I would recommend 25 psi. I've been running either the 275-50-15 or 275-40-17 in the BFG for going on five years now. Run them as high as you can, lower pressures will cause them to cup, and you will spin them. If they're Nittos, I can't help you, I tried a set on my beaSSt, and could never get them to hook. Unless you're running a whole bunch of HP, you should be able to hook on BFG's. Make sure you heat them up good, do at least a 10-12 second burnout, more if they are new. HTH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leadfoot:
If you're running BFG's, I would recommend 25 psi......Unless you're running a whole bunch of HP, you should be able to hook on BFG's. Make sure you heat them up good, do at least a 10-12 second burnout, more if they are new. HTH<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are BFG's. they are new ...and I'll be turning better than 390 lb/ft rw torque. So long burnouts to prep them makes sense. But again, these are 60 series drag radials. I'm thinkin' pressure should be less than for 40 series tires....

KW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.