Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tryn to c if a 94 caprice wagon will pull my DCM around.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Yes it will, you might look into mechanical fans, upgraded tranny cooler, and more gear.

Some wagons had tow packs which put it at around 5klbs, which made it able to tow. I belive the Fleetwood could do 7k I belive, dont qoute me on that.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
My olds cc with a 305 pulled my trailer with a 94 caprice on it pretty well. My 94 roadmaster lt1 would also pull it fine. It almost didnt feel like anything was back there with the lt1 . The only time I noticed it was on hills. I was always affraid I would damage the tranny but it held up.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! Ill start making the necessary changes to do that.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Yes it will, you might look into mechanical fans, upgraded tranny cooler, and more gear.

Some wagons had tow packs which put it at around 5klbs, which made it able to tow. I believe the Fleetwood could do 7k I believe, dont qoute me on that.
Fleetwood tow packs had two advantages over Caprices and Roadmasters:

More Wheelbase - 121.5" vs 115.9"

More Gearing - 3.42 vs 2.93 for LT1s, or 3.73 vs 3.23 for L05s

The 94 Fleetwood LT1's longer wheelbase gave it a longer driveshaft which never suffered from harmonics. It could've gotten away with using 3.73 for its V4P tow pack, but CAFE would've imposed the gas guzzler tax on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I pull a 4000 pound Airstream with my '96 RMW. It has the power to pull but a big hill will slow it down consiberably. I do not like the way it pulls this much weight. The rear suspension is soft and there is a lot of distance from the rear tires to the hitch; which is different on a truck or SUV.
If I continue to pull this much weight I will need to make some suspension mods as some of the other guys mentioned; air lifts and sway bars.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I pull a 4000 pound Airstream with my '96 RMW. It has the power to pull but a big hill will slow it down consiberably. I do not like the way it pulls this much weight. The rear suspension is soft and there is a lot of distance from the rear tires to the hitch; which is different on a truck or SUV.
If I continue to pull this much weight I will need to make some suspension mods as some of the other guys mentioned; air lifts and sway bars.
I know its a big ticket item, but you should investigate the Hensley hitch before upgrading the suspension. It works on an entirely different principal then conventional weight equalizing hitches and enables you to tow with anything that has the horsepower. Axle to drawbar distance does effect normal hitches and places considerable stress on the rear frame member of these cars. The Hensley does not and can actually be used on unibody vehicles.

I have seen A4 Audis pulling 28ft. Excellas using this hitch and while this is not something I would try, the owners claim that it works. Other than the weight, you don't even know its out back. Virtually no sway and no rig oscillation over bumps or dips in the road. As I said, its a big ticket item (about $2,500.00) but it is the last hitch youll buy. Getting it new gives you a drawbar exchange program so it can be used on subsequent tow vehicles (drawbar drop and or rise is a critical issue).

Bill

·
Registered
141 Posts

More Gearing - 3.42 vs 2.93 for LT1s, or 3.73 vs 3.23 for L05s

whats the spid code for the 373s?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
my tow pack 95 RMW came with 2.93's. i can say i've towed several cars on open trailers and my small enclosed for racing the motorcycle. with the 3.73's in it does very well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
fleetwood 3.73

any one know the code for the 3.73 gears in a fleetwood? seems like a good mod if i can find one in the junkyard

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
any one know the code for the 3.73 gears in a fleetwood? seems like a good mod if i can find one in the junkyard
V4P is the code for the 7000lb tow package for Fleetwoods only. I believe it is quite rare. The 93's came with 3.73's (GT3) and the 94-96 had 3.42 (GU6) gears.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
As I stated earlier, you will not find them in the junk yard unless someone modified the car. They did NOT produce any of the b-bodies 91-96 with 3.73 gears.
V4P is the code for the 7000lb tow package for Fleetwoods only. I believe it is quite rare. The 93's came with 3.73's (GT3) and the 94-96 had 3.42 (GU6) gears.
I stand corrected.............

·
Premium Member
2,327 Posts
I have no idea why this thread got bumped, but I use to pull a 2,200lb trailer with my wagon on it 42-4400lbs (never weighed it). I can say I was pushing 7k pounds with tools junk ect.. Anyway 2.93 gears are perfect for towing in 3rd gear with a few mods. You are not really suppose to tow in OD. The mods I had were headers high flow cats with a free flowing exhaust and a homemade sewer pipe intake with a cone filter. I had no problems passing on hills or merging into traffic ect.. Just remember if you are pulling heavy trailer brakes are a must and they work! Had to do a 70 - 25mph brake test because someone driving slow and not paying attention merged out in front of me. Don't forget the weight distribution hitch and sway control.

That's all I have.

Before I bought the trailer (scary)

·
Registered
400 Posts
dude, did you paint the backside of your wheels to match the car? I swear I see gold on the inside of your front wheel...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.